Q. My aunt has uterine cancer. Please explain her blood report and health condition.

Dr. Priyadarshini Tripathy

My aunt has vaginal cancer. She is on chemotherapy for a couple of months. Her first blood test report after the removal surgery says that she is in stage 4. Can you tell me what the indication in her last blood test report is? Also, explain her health condition?

#

I went through the blood tests (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Her blood test results are not too bad, except for anemia (low hemoglobin levels). Your aunt needs to take iron tablets (1 tablet once daily).

The other report shows your aunt has cancer of the uterus (not vagina). Carcinosarcoma of the uterus is very rare but highly aggressive cancer. But the good thing is that it has not spread outside the uterus (stage 1a). The report says it involved only less than 50 percent of the uterus.

It is not stage 4, and not vaginal cancer, but uterine cancer, and the blood test is not bad. But the cancer is an aggressive one.

Do you have any advice for her lifestyle? Any prediction on when she shall finish her chemotherapy?

#

Adopt a healthy lifestyle. Do exercise for 30 minutes daily or at least five days a week. Avoid foods rich in carbohydrates and oil. Avoid smoking and alcohol too.

Adjuvant chemotherapy is decided by the council or medical oncologist and was categorized depending on the type of chemotherapy. It is difficult to say unless I know the type of medication they are giving. Some people give it for three to six cycles.

|