Q. My aunt has uterine cancer. Please explain her blood report and health condition.

Dr. Priyadarshini Tripathy

My aunt has vaginal cancer. She is on chemotherapy for a couple of months. Her first blood test report after the removal surgery says that she is in stage 4. Can you tell me what the indication in her last blood test report is? Also, explain her health condition?

#

I went through the blood tests (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Her blood test results are not too bad, except for anemia (low hemoglobin levels). Your aunt needs to take iron tablets (1 tablet once daily).

The other report shows your aunt has cancer of the uterus (not vagina). Carcinosarcoma of the uterus is very rare but highly aggressive cancer. But the good thing is that it has not spread outside the uterus (stage 1a). The report says it involved only less than 50 percent of the uterus.

It is not stage 4, and not vaginal cancer, but uterine cancer, and the blood test is not bad. But the cancer is an aggressive one.

Do you have any advice for her lifestyle? Any prediction on when she shall finish her chemotherapy?

#

Adopt a healthy lifestyle. Do exercise for 30 minutes daily or at least five days a week. Avoid foods rich in carbohydrates and oil. Avoid smoking and alcohol too.

Adjuvant chemotherapy is decided by the council or medical oncologist and was categorized depending on the type of chemotherapy. It is difficult to say unless I know the type of medication they are giving. Some people give it for three to six cycles.

| 

CA-125 test value is 13.32 U/ml after tumor removal. Is chemotherapy required?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife has undergone tumor removal surgery along with uterus and ovary removal a week back. CA-125 test value is 13.32 U/ml. The doctor has advised to undergo 4 to 6 sessions of chemotherapy based on the biopsy report and below impression: Sex cord- stromal tumor– granulosa ce...  Read Full »

Why is my 65-year-old mother's hemoglobin level low?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother is 65 years old. She got tested for hemoglobin and fasting blood sugar. The results are 5.20 g/dL and 123 mg/dL respectively. The hemoglobin level is alarming. Three years ago, she had same hemoglobin level. She was admitted for a week and two units of blood were transfused. Wh...  Read Full »

Easy Exercises for Knee Osteoarthritis (OA)

Article Overview: This article talks briefly about knee osteoarthritis and stresses on how you can benefit from special physiotherapy exercises for the knee. Read Article

Dr. Ankita Sharma
Physiotherapist

Osteoarthritis is a form of arthritis that features the breakdown and eventually, loss of the cartilage of one or more joints. Osteoarthritis occurs more frequently as we age, the common age group of onset being 40 to 50 years. Osteoarthritis is referred to as degenerative joint diseases (DJD). Oste...  Read Article

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»