Uterine Fibroid

A noncancerous growth in the uterus commonly seen during childbearing age is called a uterine fibroid or leiomyomas or myomas. Some of the common symptoms of a uterine fibroid are heavy menstrual bleeding, pelvic pain, frequent urination, constipation, and back pain.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by Verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

I am 46-year-old female suffering from multiple fibroids in my right ovary. Kindly help.

Query: Hello doctor,I am 46 years old and have three fibroids of 71 mm, 38 mm, and 5 mm each in my right ovary. In addition, I have painful cramps during my periods. Currently taking ayurvedic supplements and natural progesterone cream. Is there any ayurvedic remedy to cure fibroids?Kindly help.  Read Full »

Dr. Balakrishnan. R

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thank you for your query. I understand your concern. Fibroid itself is not an indication of surgery. Only if the symptoms are unbearable it needs an intervention. For normal pain, the use of painkillers during periods is enough. I am not sure about ayurvedic medicat...  Read Full »

Does multiple uterine fibroids cause miscarriage?

Query: Hi doctor,I got married last year, and I had multiple fibroids detected in the previous year. I recently had one miscarriage after six weeks. The miscarriage can be unknowingly due to fibroids, traveling, dancing, and using the staircase during pregnancy. The fibroids have increased in size with tim...  Read Full »

Dr. Balakrishnan. R

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.I understand your concern. I would like to explain that fibroids are hormones sensitive masses that are benign and never get cancerous. One in one lakh may have the risk. The growth of fibroid depends on the estrogen hormones (the female hormone from ovaries). So they will ...  Read Full »

I am 22 years old, and I have a 5 cm cyst on my left ovary and a uterine fibroid. Why?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 22 years old, and I have a 5 cm cyst on my left ovary and a uterine fibroid the size of a grape. My periods have always been regular; except this cycle, I am six days late. I took a pregnancy test a couple of days ago, and it was negative. Is this normal? I have also gained some we...  Read Full »

Dr. Balakrishnan. R

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concern. Fibroids of size less than 5 cm need not be treated if asymptomatic. But any fibroid-causing symptoms need to be treated. Symptoms include excessive bleeding during periods, irregular periods, severe pain during periods, e...  Read Full »

I am planning to conceive, but I have a uterine fibroid measuring 7 cm. Is pregnancy possible with this fibroid?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a uterine fibroid measuring 7 cm. I am planning to have a child, and the doctor told me it is very difficult to conceive with this huge fibroid. Please suggest some medications to shrink the fibroid. Thank you.  Read Full »

Dr. Penchilaprasad Kandikattu

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are many methods to control the fibroid other than surgery. Medicines used to shrink fibroids are gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) analogs, anti-inflammatory drugs, and progesterone-releasing devices. Few minimally invasive surgeries like uterine artery mi...  Read Full »

Fibroids causing painful menstrual period with clots. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am 38 years old. I have fibroids. The last time I went to the hospital, I had a blood transfusion. Both the legs were swollen due to lack of protein in the blood. I am on my menstrual period right now. My abdomen feels very heavy. And I cannot control the bleeding. I cannot user tamp...  Read Full »

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abdelrahman Abouibrahim

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concerns. Fibroids may cause excessive bleeding. So, a strict management is required. If fertility is not required, hysterectomy (removal of the uterus) is an option. If fertility is required, myomectomy (removal of fibroids) is a good option. Befo...  Read Full »

I have huge fibroids and have been suggested Esmya by a gynecologist. Will the medicine work on my fibroids?

Query: Hello doctor, I have heard about a medicine called Esmya, but I do not know much about it. It probably shrinks the fibroid. My gynecologist told me that surgery is necessary because I have a big fibroid which is around 83 mm X 70 mm. But I took an opinion from another gynecologist, and she recommend...  Read Full »

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Esmya (Ulipristal acetate) is temporary, and when you have finished the pill, the fibroid comes back again, and Esmya (like all medicines) might have some side effects. Therefore, I suggest you consult a specialist and take Esmya with their consent and not go for the...  Read Full »

What is the treatment for submucosal fibroid?

Query: Hi doctor, I have had submucosal fibroid for over ten years. Now for the past three months, I have been facing irregular bleeding. My urine does not flow in a straight line when the volume is less. Also, I have a small cyst in the clitoris, which creates occasional itching once or twice a month. I ...  Read Full »

Dr. Purushottam Sah

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. For submucosal fibroid, you can opt for hysteroscopic removal or arterial embolization, or MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) guided focused ultrasound therapy. Because at 30 years, I do not think you would like to go for open surgery. Urine may not come out in a s...  Read Full »

I had an open myomectomy two years back, and now I have been diagnosed with multiple fibroids. Kindly help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 34 years old woman who had an open myomectomy two years ago. And recently, I found out that I have five new ones: 2.3 X 1.7 centimeters anterior wall, 2.3 X 1.8 centimeters anterior wall, 3.18 X 1.6 centimeters anterior fundal in position, 1.3 X 1.2 centimeters fungal, and 0....  Read Full »

Dr. Sadaf Mustafa

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Another treatment for your condition is embolization of the uterine artery. Did your doctor discuss this option with you? Thank you.   Read Full »

Could you please explain the transvaginal ultrasound report?

Query: Hi doctor, My transvaginal ultrasound report states bilateral ovarian cysts with benign features, endometriotic cysts, normal-sized uterus with small myoma FIGO grade six, thickened endometrium, and bilateral periovarian adhesion. Could you please explain this report?  Read Full »

Dr. Akhileshwar Singh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The report states that there is a small myoma. I would like to tell you that 40% to 50% of ladies have myomas, but they do not show any symptoms. I suggest not doing anything other than going for a follow-up for the myoma. Endometriosis of the ovary is the presence of e...  Read Full »

Why does my vaginal discharge smell like rotten eggs?

Query: Hi doctor, I have noticed the past couple of days my vagina smells like rotten eggs. I have never been sexually active, but I use tampons. I do not have any other symptoms, like burning, itching, discharge, etc. What could this be?  Read Full »

Dr. Balakrishnan. R

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. How are you doing? The possible causes are: If a tampon is left in for a long time or unhygienic methods of insertion. You can stop using tampons and use sanitary pads till fine. Use vaginal wash twice a day for a week. If you have a urinary infection. This will need...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.