Q. Can fibroids shrink with ayurvedic medication in a perimenopausal woman?

Dr. Alka
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 30, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am 42 years old and have been diagnosed with multiple uterine fibroids. Two of them are a little more than 3 cm at different places in the uterus. In the past, I have been operated for endometriosis level 4. As usual, the gynecologist is suggesting a hysterectomy. But since I am in my perimenopausal phase, can the fibroids shrink with medication? I have been suggested Fibroease.

Dr. Alka

#

The medicine you are taking is good for your condition. If you want to try shrinking it with medicine alone, you can continue that.

Along with that, I advise you to visit a nearby Ayurveda physician or a panchakarma center and ask for the procedure related to fibroids. Usually, Virechana which is a purgation therapy which is done and also medicine is given. It helps some patients in getting relief.

| 

I have not consulted any Ayurvedic doctor till now but I am wanting to. Meanwhile, can I start the medication prescribed by you? Should I take Fibroease or not? My body has been a guinea pig for all the doctors. Right from Decapeptyl injections to OCP and what not, they have tried everything. That is why, now I am scared of taking any allopathy treatment. And since I am in my perimenopausal phase, I would be glad if surgery could be avoided.

Dr. Alka

#

I just read your query and saw your report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). One fibroid is in the outer layer of the uterus while others are in the muscular layer.

Continue your allopathic tablet as advised. Along with that, take Ayurvedic treatment but keep a time gap between your allopathic and Ayurvedic medicine.

I will provide you with a management plan. Follow it for one month. After one month, repeat your ultrasound to see the effect. In between one month, if you feel any trouble, you can consult your nearby Ayurveda physician.

• Tablet Kanchnaar Guggulu two tablets two times a day with lukewarm water after food. Do not swallow these tablets. First of all, chew them and then take it with lukewarm water.
  • Haridra khanda two teaspoons with lukewarm water or lukewarm milk two times a day.
  • Pradarantaka churna two teaspoons with lukewarm water two times a day.
  • Aloe vera juice 15 ml with water two times a day.
  • Do brisk walk daily at least for 30 minutes.
  • Do Suryanamaskara daily if you can do. You can learn all postures but do it carefully without hurting yourself.
  • Adopt a healthy lifestyle like try to sleep around 10 PM in the night and wake up early in the morning.
  • Eat fresh and healthy food.
  • Avoid excessive oily, spicy, junk food and caffeinated drinks.

You will get all these medicines easily in an Ayurvedic pharmacy or online. Follow this management for one month and consult me after one month regarding improvement and for further management.

|