Q. My mother has a cyst in the uterus. Could it be cancerous?

Dr. Balakrishnan. R
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 25, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 02, 2021

My mother is 48 years old, and she was having a problem with menstruation. So, she got a sonography done, and the sonography reports showed a large, and ill-defined heterogeneous mass lesion with moderate internal vascularity in cervix extending into the lower uterine region and upper one-third of the vagina (parametrial extension). The doctor said that there is a cyst on the mouth of the uterus and it could be cancerous. My mother does not have any symptoms, no pain and no loss of appetite, but she feels little tired all the time. Is it cancerous or non-cancerous? And what is the best treatment for removing this cyst? She just had the sonography done and has not started taking any medication yet.

She had heavy bleeding a year back and sometimes fibroid like things used to come out. She took Mensu syrup for 21 days, which made the bleeding normal. But the menstruation problem returned after stopping the medicine. So she got an ultrasound done. Please help.

#

From the history, I do not think you have to worry. Let me explain why.

It mostly appears to be a fibroid arising from the lower uterine segment, just above the cervix and extending to the vagina.

Never diagnose any disease by just an investigation report. Most important things in diagnosis are history and examination.

In history, the duration of complaint, type of the previous cycle, associated bladder or bowel symptoms, watery discharge, etc. has to be noted.

• Local examination of the abdomen, external genitals, cervix, feel of the mass, any bleeding to touch, friability of the mass, any other masses, tissue biopsy from the mass, PAP smear after bleeding stops, etc. all decide if there is any malignancy.
  • To confirm further, MRI with contrast can be done to delineate the mass. This condition will need surgical correction, but a simple one with no follow-up.
  • I suggest she try taking Iron and Vitamin B complex supplements, to combat the weakness of blood loss.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|