Q. My mother has a cyst in the uterus. Could it be cancerous?

Answered by
Dr. Balakrishnan. R
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 25, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 02, 2021

Hi doctor,

My mother is 48 years old, and she was having a problem with menstruation. So, she got a sonography done, and the sonography reports showed a large, and ill-defined heterogeneous mass lesion with moderate internal vascularity in cervix extending into the lower uterine region and upper one-third of the vagina (parametrial extension). The doctor said that there is a cyst on the mouth of the uterus and it could be cancerous. My mother does not have any symptoms, no pain and no loss of appetite, but she feels little tired all the time. Is it cancerous or non-cancerous? And what is the best treatment for removing this cyst? She just had the sonography done and has not started taking any medication yet.

She had heavy bleeding a year back and sometimes fibroid like things used to come out. She took Mensu syrup for 21 days, which made the bleeding normal. But the menstruation problem returned after stopping the medicine. So she got an ultrasound done. Please help.



Welcome to

From the history, I do not think you have to worry. Let me explain why.

It mostly appears to be a fibroid arising from the lower uterine segment, just above the cervix and extending to the vagina.

Never diagnose any disease by just an investigation report. Most important things in diagnosis are history and examination.

In history, the duration of complaint, type of the previous cycle, associated bladder or bowel symptoms, watery discharge, etc. has to be noted.

  • Local examination of the abdomen, external genitals, cervix, feel of the mass, any bleeding to touch, friability of the mass, any other masses, tissue biopsy from the mass, PAP smear after bleeding stops, etc. all decide if there is any malignancy.
  • To confirm further, MRI with contrast can be done to delineate the mass. This condition will need surgical correction, but a simple one with no follow-up.
  • I suggest she try taking Iron and Vitamin B complex supplements, to combat the weakness of blood loss.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Can uterine fibroid be cured without surgery?

I have heavy bleeding from two or three months ... The heavy bleeding may be due to the fibroid and menopausal symptoms ...   Read full

Bladder biopsy shows eosinophilic cystitis with eosinophil infiltration. Please help.

.. through your post well. Eosinophilic cystitis has been mentioned in the case reports because of its rarety. No clinical trials have been conducted on the condition, it is treated with a course of steroids or NSAIDS and occasionally with resection ...   Read full

Do I need vitamin D and iron supplement?

.. D deficiency you need to take capsule Cholecalciferol 60,000 IU once a week for six weeks. Vitamin D is necessary for our body for general health and for calcium absorption into our body. So, indirectly it helps to maintain bone health. Vitamin D...   Read full


Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Management of Coronasomnia
Coronasomnia refers to increased sleep problems among people during the COVID-19 pandemic. Read the below article to get...  Read more»
Balantidiasis - Causes, Signs and Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Balantidiasis is a rare bacterial infection caused by a parasite called Balantidium coli. Read the article below to know...  Read more»
JAK Inhibitors in Treating Rheumatoid Arthritis
Doctors mainly suggest JAK or Janus kinase inhibitors for patients with rheumatoid arthritis to ease their symptoms. Rea...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Obstetrician & Gynaecologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.