Q. My wife is 20 weeks pregnant, and she has a small myoma. Can she deliver the child safely?

Dr. Jimesh H Mavani
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 14, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 18, 2021

My wife is 20 weeks pregnant, and we got an ultrasound done. The report shows a small myoma measuring 49x26 mm in the anterior wall of the uterus. Can you please see the attached report and evaluate her problem to me? What to do next? Are there any chances of complication during delivery? Will she stay in good health after the delivery? Can she deliver the child safely? Will both the mother and child be safe? Is there anything to worry about as such? Please suggest.

#

I have seen the ultrasound report (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Myoma or fibroid are sometimes seen along with pregnancy. It is very tricky how myoma reacts with the pregnancy. The thing is that the chances of it increasing in size during pregnancy are high, and sometimes it may cause pain. And very rarely, abortion can happen due to severe pain.

But, some patients have uninterrupted pregnancy and do not have any symptoms due to myoma. So, it will depend on the size, position, and its blood supply. You need to continue all medication regularly and take adequate rest.

• Myoma is on the anterior side, which means it is on the front. If it is lower, then it can interrupt the normal delivery process. But, there are chances of normal delivery also. And the mother and baby will be fine, and they will not have any problems if everything goes fine.
  • There is a chance of the mother bleeding excessively after delivery. And caesarean also has the risk of more bleeding. Myoma-related indication for a caesarean is only when the myoma comes in between the delivery path, and the birth canal is partially blocked by it. But, c-section is also risky.
  • What you can do is, regularly consult with your gynecologist and take treatment accordingly. Continue all her tablets. She may require repeated sonography to note the size, position, and dimensions of the myoma and to see the growth of the baby. Take proper rest throughout the pregnancy.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|