Q. I have recurring UTIs for two months as I did not pee after sex. Please help.

Dr. Shahil Khant

I am 29 years female. I do not smoke or drink. My weight is 203 lbs. I have recurring UTIs for two months. It started when I did not pee after sex. My symptoms improve on taking antibiotics but return whenever they are discontinued. A urologist suggested a cystoscopy and urodynamics, which is expensive. I have heard of others using low-dose antibiotics for six months to a year with success. I am seeking a second opinion.

Kindly help.

#

Relax and do not worry. This issue is very common in young females of your age, so nothing to worry about.

I have some questions for you. Have you done a urine test? Does it happen only after having sex?

I think cystoscopy or urodynamic study is not required at present for your case. I suggest you have an ultrasound abdomen and pelvis report, which are the primary test to rule out any pathology in the urinary tract.

I advise you to drink plenty of water. Always empty your urinary bladder before and after sex and maintain proper perineal hygiene. You can take cranberry extracts daily as prophylaxis. If the problem occurs only after sex, you can start antibiotics only after having sex for three to five days instead of taking antibiotics daily. If the problem is not related to sex, then you can have daily low-dose prophylaxis.

I suggest the drug Bactrim (Sulfamethoxazole and Trimethoprim).

Thanks.

|