Q. Can you suggest an ayurvedic remedy to prevent UTI?

Dr. Santhosh M D
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 07, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 15, 2020

My 1.7 months old baby was affected by urine infection twice in the last 10 months. So, the doctor suggested an MCU test and DMSA. In MCU, it was detected that she had grade 5 reflux on right side and grade 4 on the left. In DMSA, it was detected that she had multiple scars on the right side kidney and the total kidney function was 37 63. Then, she had an open vascular surgery before three months and her stents were removed 45 days ago. Now, again, she had a UTI. The culture report reported that the organism was Klebsiella. After 25 days of hospitalization with catheter and central line, she was cured. She also has urine retention problem. Around 25 cc of urine noted residing. Can you suggest any ayurvedic remedy to prevent UTI and for urine retention?

#

• I advise you to follow your allopathic prescription for the time being. It is not a good idea to stop those medications.
  • I can suggest some of the home remedies without any side effect. In the due course of time, it will help to regain the strength and vitality of the urinary system. Also, it prevents frequent UTI (urinary tract infection). This will just act like food supplement.

1. Boil 3 to 5 Gokshura (a herb you can purchase at raw drug selling ayurveda shops) with half a liter of water and give it to the baby whenever the baby needs water. It will not taste bad.
2. Punarnavasavam 5 mL with 5 mL of water in the morning and evening after taking any food. It should not be continued for more than three months. You can restart it after a month of gap. It has a sweet taste, so baby will not refuse it.

Maintain high level of hygiene.

Revert back after a month to an ayurveda specialist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ayurveda-specialist

|