Q. I have been getting recurrent UTI. Please help.

Dr. Sushma Shah
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 29, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 23, 2021

I am a female of 23 years old. I have been getting recurrent UTIs for the past two years. My urine culture at first showed bacteria, but now they are not showing that I have an infection. I also used to be pain-free for one to two days after starting antibiotics. But, during the last three episodes, it has taken around 8 to 10 days to be out of pain. The most recent one did not show as UTI, but I was treated with Bactrim anyway. I got better after seven days, but then got yeast infection two days later and I was treated with Fluconazole. Once the yeast infection was gone, I started getting pain in my bladder, similar to UTI and it felt better when I empty my bladder, but not pain free. It is really bad first thing in the morning. I have an ache all day and it hurts more when I bend over. I have not had sex since the first UTI. Uristat, Tylenol and Ibuprofen did not help with the pain. I have also started to get a burning sensation when I urinate. Myself and my partner has been tested for Chlamydia and Gonorrhea within the last two weeks. It has been four weeks of dealing with this and I am getting worried that it is something other than a UTI because it came back without even having sex.

#

You are a known case of recurrent urinary tract infection. Both the partners have to take treatment.

My advice is to drink plenty of liquids and eat citrus fruits like lemon, orange, musambi, kiwi, gooseberry, etc.

Avoid spicy, fried and junk food. Take light blend diet and maintain regularity in food habit.

Wash external genitalia with lukewarm water and two spoonful of Betadine solution for three to five days.

You need to get an ultrasound of whole abdomen with a full bladder and after emptying bladder to know the amount of residual urine, complete urine examination and microscopy every 10 days and culture and sensitivity after a month.

I suggest you the following medicines. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.

1. Tablet Ofloxacin 400 after lunch and dinner for 10 days
  2. Tablet Meftal plus (Mefenamic acid and Drotaverine) after lunch and dinner for 5 to 7 days.
  3. Liquid alkalizer, Citralka or Alkin (Disodium hydrogen citrate) two teaspoon full with half a glass of water after breakfast, lunch and dinner for 15 days and then reduce it to two times for 15 days and then only after dinner for one month.
  4. Also, continue Nitrofurantoin as advised by your doctor.

Revert back with the reports to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|