Q. I have UTI and suffering from pain after taking Amoxicillin. Why?

Dr. Amit Arora
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Sep 22, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 24, 2019

I have been dealing with a UTI for about six to seven days. I do not have health insurance right now. I have been taking Amoxicillin for that exact amount of time from when it started. 500 mg qid. Now I do get uti frequently, and I have usually prescribed Amoxicillin. So I had a refill at the pharmacy I started on. Well, it is not getting rid of it. The pain got worse, and I started taking otc Pyridium.

Usually, the Amoxicillin has it gone, but it is not. I can feel it spreading to my kidneys. I am so very uncomfortable and in a lot of pain. Should I finish I have doses for today and tomorrow first, or go to the er? I am nauseated as well. It started when I got my period, and my period only lasted two days which is very odd for me. I also know Pyridium can alter results. Please help.

Dr. Amit Arora

Cardiology
#

I will advise you to get urine culture and antibiotic sensitivity done first only then choose a proper antibiotic. If Amoxicillin is not working that means bacteria could be resistant to it, yes you can stop it. Pyridium is a good urinary antiseptic, and yes it does interfere with urine examination, especially with culture. You can try syrup Citrasol (alkaliser) two tea spoon full thrice daily. Take a small water tub to mix some antiseptic like savlon (Cholhexidine) and sit inside it for five to10 minutes before taking a bath. Take plenty of water. Also get complete urine examination done. If you have further questions, Do follow-up.

Following UTI, I am getting vaginal dryness and pain. How to treat this?

Query: Hi doctor, A few months ago, I was suffering from UTI and followed by vaginal dryness. Right now, I feel occasional sharp pain in my vagina, which subsides after a while. Also, I am getting pain during intercourse. I wanted to know the ways to treat this vaginal dryness. I had urine and culture t...  Read Full >>

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Pain can be due to cystitis or recurrence of UTI (urinary tract infection). UTI will not cause vaginal dryness. It indicates inadequate exposure to estrogen (hormone), which can be due to many causes. Regarding dryness and pain during intercourse, it can be reduce...  Read Full

I had 875 mg of Amoxicillin in six hours with Acetaminophen. Will I be fine?

Query: Hello doctor,I took 875 mg of Amoxicillin in six hours. I did not realize it was supposed to be over 12 hours until I was searching until now. It only said two times a day on the bottle. I also had 500 mg of Acetaminophen with it. Will I be fine?  Read Full >>

Dr. Deepak Patel
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. A dose of Amoxycillin at 20 years of age is around 1500 mg per day. This total of 1500 mg can be divided into two of approximately 750 mg or three doses of about 500 mg. You have taken the drug recommended in a whole day in six hours, and this will not cause any harm...  Read Full

Can I give P-250 and Amoxicillin for fever to 3 years old child?

Query: Hi doctor, My son age 3 years old has a fever since yesterday noon, till now I have given six times P-250 5 ml dosage, the fever reduces and comes back in three hours. The temperature goes 102.8 F in the underarm. Now at 2.30 PM, I have given Amoxicillin 125 mg 5 ml with P-250. Otherwise, he is nor...  Read Full >>

Dr. Baratu Bhaisara
Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. A fever has multiple causes, the most common causes are viral fever, throat inflammation. Usually, these illness does not require antibiotics (Amoxicillin). Antibiotics should be started only in a bacterial infection that too after doctor's re...  Read Full