Vaccination For Hepatitis

My paediatrician mentioned a few vaccines are optional. What does that mean?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a baby girl (45 days old). There are some vaccinations in this period. Our pediatrician suggests vaccination option for DTwP/DTaP-1, OPV1/OPV1+IVP1, Hib vaccination, hepatitis B vaccination by oral administration or by injection. What is the difference between it and which one ...  Read Full »

Dr. Baratu Bhaisara

Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. 1. Optional vaccines are given in special and high-risk kids. Does your child is any one of them? 2. Yes, in the market there are various brands of different vaccines. 3. There is no limit for optional vaccines. 4. If a baby is healthy ...  Read Full »

Medicine and diet plan for high bilirubin levels

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 34-year-old male. I am suffering from jaundice. Last week my eyes have turned slightly yellowish and after that, I had my blood test and hepatitis test. Tests show positive, bilirubin levels are 10 mg/dl. Can you suggest me medicine and diet plan?  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your post. You have possibly hepatitis which needs to be checked for the type of hepatitis. So viral serology needs to be done. Regarding diet, you have to take vegetables, fresh fruits, and avoid oily and fatty stuff. Most of the hepatitis is self-rem...  Read Full »

What are the preventive measures in case of slippage or breakage of condoms?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 37 year old heterosexual male. I am HIV negative with no known STD. I always have safe sex. I always have very safe sex with girls who are not sex workers. But may have casual sex with others. Generally, I would imagine that they too would be practicing safe sex with their regul...  Read Full »

Dr. Bharat Udey

Geriatrician, Psychiatrist, Sexologist, Sleep Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. An unsafe sex increases the chance of contracting STDs (sexually transmitted diseases) as well as HIV (human immunodeficiency virus). As you mentioned that the status of your partners are mostly not known, so this puts you in risk of contracting STD or HIV if you get in...  Read Full »

How to protect myself from STD?

Query: Hello Doctor, I am a 33 year old unmarried, healthy male. I have a steady girlfriend with whom I have sex regularly, as well as casual one night stands with other girls. I always practise safe sex, i.e, a) always use a condom b) never have uncovered oral sex (c) never have anal sex (d) always keep ...  Read Full »

Dr. Amit Arora

Cardiologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I appreciate that you are very much conscious and alert while having sex and take all preventive measures. 1. Kissing can spread some diseases only if the other partner is infected .These diseases spread through saliva . There are so many diseases which spread through ...  Read Full »

Please interpret my blood chemistry report.

Query: Hi doctor, I have a blood chemistry result. Can you give me interpretation?Also explain what is the next step? Thank you.  Read Full »

Dr. Naresh Kumar Monigari

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I had gone through all your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Most of the reports are normal like, complete blood picture, FBS - fasting blood sugar and urine routine. Some of them needs attention, so I am commenting on them. In lipid profile LD...  Read Full »

What are the chances of acquiring a HIV infection from a used, hair-cutting blade?

Query: Hello doctor, Yesterday, my son went to a local salon for a haircut. He received small scratches on the neck while getting his haircut. I noticed that it was done with a used blade, which was not cleaned properly. Is there a risk of an HIV or other viral infection due to this? Please guide me.  Read Full »

Dr. Ashish Jayanand Chandwadkar

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The likelihood of HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) transmission, in this case, is 1 in 300. Firstly, you are not sure that the person, on whom the blade was used previously, was HIV positive. More importantly, HIV rarely survives in dried blood. So, in the case th...  Read Full »

I am an alcoholic.Do I have the risk of liver cancer?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 34 year old male. During recent times I am feeling a fear of having liver cancer due to my history of heavy alcoholism. I have mentioned my risk factors below: My body weight is 89Kg and my height is 166cm. I had mumps at an age of 5 years. I have kidney stones (as per the rep...  Read Full »

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Child Health Specialist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, Medical Gastroenterologist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your reports are essentially normal except for elevated cholesterol (attachments removed to protect patient identity). Yes, you have a risk of HCC due to alcohol intake. Grade 1 fatty changes in the liver may be due to obesity and alcohol consumption. But still you not ne...  Read Full »

Can I get protected against hepatitis B by vaccination?

Query: Hi doctor, I kissed someone who had chronic hepatitis B. So, I put my first hepatitis vaccination immediately, a second vaccination a week later and the third one, two weeks later after the second. Am I protected against hepatitis B?  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, you are protected. Although the booster is not taken, some amount of immunity is provided by vaccination, it is enough to protect. So, it will protect you. Now, the best way to confirm this is by getting immunoglobin titers done and if the titers are adequate, t...  Read Full »

Are my HBV and HCV tests conclusive?

Query: Hi doctor, I have attached my three medical test reports, of which, two are for HBV, and one result is for HCV. These results are almost six months old, and they were taken exactly after six months of potential exposure to these viruses. I have not had any symptoms in the past one year, but I unde...  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the test reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Here is my interpretation. For hepatitis B surface antibody, a level less than five is considered negative, while a level more than 12 is considered protective. So, you have hepatitis B ant...  Read Full »

Is it normal to get hepatitis B vaccine even before starting HIV medications?

Query: Hello doctor, I just found I am HIV positive, but I am not on medication yet. My CD4/viral load count is 445 /22,500. I do have issues with my liver enzyme AST=87, ALT=201, ferritin =800, but negative for hepatitis B. The doctor wants to protect my liver, so she gave me first hepatitis B vaccine. My...  Read Full »

Dr. Kakkar

Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I think it is the right decision to vaccinate against hepatitis B because it protects you against future exposures to this virus. Hepatitis B is having the same routes of transmission as HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) vaccination. Hepatitis B does not interfere...  Read Full »