Q. Is it compulsory for my child to take Menactra vaccine?

Dr. Deepak Patel
Published on Jan 01, 2018

My son is 26 months old. The doctor has advised taking Menactra vaccine (Sanofi). Though this vaccine is not listed in IAP compulsory immunization schudule, is it necessary to take this? What are its side effects?

Dr. Deepak Patel

Child Health Paediatrics
#

Menactra Vaccine (Meningococcal Vaccine (Group A, C, Y, and W-135)) is given to prevent meningococcal disease.

It is not mentioned in IAP (Indian Academy of Pediatrics) compulsory immunization schedule. But in some places where meningococcus is prevalent, this vaccine is generally advised to be administered.

This vaccine has some side effects like low fever, redness or pain at the site of vaccine injection and irritability. But these are very mild in nature and can occur with other vaccines also.

In my opinion, it would be better if you give the vaccine to the child because meningococcal is a fatal disease and management is very difficult if the disease occurs in a child.

For more information consult a child health specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/child-health-specialist

Is it necessary to get vaccinated after a dog bite?

Query: Hi doctor, My child has a wound in his inner part of the foot. He is 3.6 years old. He is saying that a puppy bites him and also says injured from stone. We are confused and visited a doctor. He advised us to four doses of injection. Will it cause any side effect when there is no dog bite?  Read Full »

How to treat headaches caused by tuberculous meningitis?

Query: Hello doctor, My father was suffering from fever and right sided headaches, which felt like an electric shock. So, we consulted a doctor, and after several tests, the doctor diagnosed it as tubercular meningitis. All the test including CT scan were normal. So, he prescribed Forcox, Benadon, and Uri...  Read Full »

What can be done to improve immunity in 4 years kid?

Query: Hello doctor,My daughter is 4 years and 2 months old. She develops a very bad cough and then along with fever in a day or two. She had a wheezing problem previously so the doctor had prescribed to give Budecort and Levolin puffs or nebulization. So every time when she develops this kind of a dry cou...  Read Full »

Ask a Child Health Specialist Now