Q. What happens to the vagina exactly after giving birth?

Dr. Priyadarshini Tripathy
and medically reviewed by Dr. Chithranjali Ravichandran

What happens to your vagina exactly after giving birth?

#

I went through your query.

During pregnancy, due to the effects of hormones, the lining of the vagina undergoes certain changes: for example, it becomes softer, changes a little bit of color, becomes swollen. The same continues for few months after childbirth too. These are the physiological changes. If the woman did not labor and right away went for a C-section, there will not be any stretching effect on the vagina. But if the woman underwent vaginal delivery, the vagina might stretch and tear. Moreover, if there was any perineal tear for which it might feel loose and lax.

It takes around 4 to 6 weeks for the healing to complete.

Though it might not come back to a pre-pregnancy state vagina has a lot of elasticity so that it will retract.

I hope this answers your query.

Feel free to reach out for any further information.

Thank you for your reply doctor.

So let us say you are very petite down there. The vagina will lose tightness and look baggy, is what you are saying to my understanding, is that correct? And your body overall, including the belly, becomes more 'mum' like due to hormonal changes, which are permanent.

#

Yes, the changes induced by pregnancy and childbirth to the female genital organs will remain for a while. It will become a bit loose and stretchy. But the tightness will resume if you do pelvic floor exercises. However, some skin and mucosal changes might persist throughout your life.

|