Q. I got my periods after taking an I-pill. Is pregnancy ruled out?

This is a premium question & answer published on May 29, 2018 and last reviewed on: Aug 27, 2020

I got my period after taking an I-pill the very next day that was heavy and the period lasted for five days. Is it safe? Is pregnancy ruled out?

#

It is better that you get a serum beta hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) test done to conclusively rule out pregnancy as bleeding usually do not start the next day post the intake of the I-pill.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

But that was my periods only. I got my periods before the I-pill only. After the I-pill, flow was heavy and it lasted for five days. There was no intercourse as such and no ejaculation as such. But I was scared and did not know much so I took that I-pill within 24 hours. I know I have got my periods before that only as that was my period date. Still, is there any chance or have I to go for a test? Please help.

#

If the menses had started before the I-pill (emergency contraceptive pill) Intake then you are safe completely.

The menses became heavy because I-pill is a high dose of progesterone.

Once the withdrawal is initiated naturally in form of menses then if one takes an I-pill or high dose of progesterone then withdrawal bleed is further potentiated and often one tends to pass clots.

But this in a way sheds the complete endometrium and rules out any chances of pregnancy.

So I would say that you can relax as you are not pregnant at all. There is no need for the test in this case now.

Does this completely rule out? as the first day it was light one but next five days the periods were heavy. After that, I was feeling like I was safe but still sacred. I know there is no chance but I really hope nothing wrong can happen.

#

Yes, there is no probability that you may be pregnant as there was no penetration or ejaculation involved.

Also, you had your menses on time, so you are not pregnant at all else you would have simply missed your menses even with an I-pill.

So, kindly relax.

|