Q. I have a pea-sized bump on my inner labia, which gets uncomfortable with pressure. Please help.

Dr. Sugreev Singh

I am a 23-year-old female. My height is 5 feet 2 inches, and my weight is 140 lbs. I want to know if my problem is serious or not. I appear to have a cyst on my inner labia. It is a pea-sized bump that is uncomfortable when it gets pressure on it. I have this for two weeks. I have had some cysts (or lumps) before, and they have gone away on their own, but I want to know if there is a way to make them go faster or if it could be serious. Please help.

#

Thank you for writing, and I understand your concern. Actually, such cysts are due to infection or shaving, so if you recently shaved your genital area, it can be due to that only. Or another reason could be infection due to unprotected sex. So if you had unprotected sex recently and it appeared after that, please let me know. If it is possible, please attach a picture of it to check and suggest accordingly. Do not worry; it can be treated easily with medications. Please revert with details.

Thanks for the reply.

Before it appeared, I indeed shaved everything off. I usually trim and do not shave because I hate the itchiness and ingrown hairs. My partner is 100% clean, but I did not have unprotected intercourse. I say that because he gave me oral sex and used his hands, but it did not appear because of it. I had felt something before he did that, but I guess I did not correctly check. I am so thankful for this way of communication because I am usually shy and embarrassed in person. I will attach an image for sure. Thank you so much. I appreciate what you do and for taking the time to evaluate this.

#

Thank you for the quick reply.

I went through the pictures (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity), and I can see the lumps, and there are some tiny spots on the labia. These can be due to a fungal infection. And it can be treated. But we have to rule out sexually transmitted diseases. Because if one person is infected, then there are chances of transferring it to the partner. So I would suggest you avoid sexual contact for few weeks. You can perform oral if you wish to. But avoid the vaginal route for few weeks. I suggest,

• Fluconazole 150 mg one tablet per week for four weeks.
  • Beclomethasone and Clotrimazole ointment application on the affected area and other tiny spots twice a day for a week.

Let me know after one week. Do you have any discharge or smell from the vagina? Is there any itching? Please let me know if you have any.

|