Q. I have swellings on the sides of my vagina, which becomes normal after some days. Please help.

Dr. Purushottam Sah
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

I have swellings on the sides of my vagina, periodically. They seems to come to a normal state after some days.

#

It may be due to allergy or due to any medicine if you are taking any. Does it have any pattern like before or after or middle of periods? Is there any pain or itching? If you are sexually active, then does it come after sex? You should check blood sugar levels with PP (Postprandial), Hb (hemoglobin), TC (total count), and DC (differential count). Whenever there is swelling, apply a cold compress to reduce it. A picture of the swelling may give more information. Since it becomes normal after a few days, it is due to any of the temporary causes mentioned above.

Thank you for your reply.

Please see the attached images. This started before my marriage, and I have not had sex before my marriage. I do not have an allergy to any medicine, and I am not taking any medication.

#

These appear as cysts. There are many glands in the vulva, and when they become blocked, cysts develop. It would help if you cleaned daily with soap and warm water. Do not shave with razors, or if you shave, then use disposable ones. Wear cotton panties, hot iron the panties daily. Do not wear tight jeans.

Thank you for your reply.

Can you suggest medication for resolving the current issues? I will follow the guidelines that you have suggested.

#

These do not need medicines, because medicines do not help, as they subside on their own. Only if there is infection or itching then only medicines can help. If there is itching then you can apply Clotrimazole cream thrice daily. If there is infection or pus formation then you will need antibiotics like Ciprofloxacin.

|