Q. I have itchy vagina with yellow discharge. Is this yeast infection?

Dr. Lorena Zijaj

I had vaginal itching (mostly on the inside, also a bit on the outside) and whitish-yellow discharge. I took yeast infection medication and right after that, the itching and discharge stopped. But now I again have some discharge and a small amount of itching. My period is three weeks late, and I took a pregnancy test. It came back negative.

#

Usually, the symptoms continue for two to three days after the treatment. What medication have you taken? And for how long? Have you finished the treatment? Anyway, if the symptom continues, perform another vaginal swab to revaluate the infection.

I took Canesten 2% cream and I finished the treatment about two weeks ago.

#

You can take a dose of Fluconazole 150 mg one table, single dose.

The assessment that I had a yeast infection was my own, not the doctor's diagnosis. I have had one episode before, and the symptoms were similar. But I am quite sure that is not what it was, and my discharge is not yellow colored previously. Should I still take Fluconazole? Also, is there a reasonable explanation for my delayed period (my periods were never late before)?

#

To confirm a yeast infection, you have to perform a vaginal swab to diagnose the infection. In this case, the discharge should be white and thick like white cheese, and odorless. The symptoms that you prescribe are not related to pregnancy.

If you have performed a pregnancy test after three weeks from your expected date, it means that you are not pregnant. I would recommed a beta hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) blood test as it has high accuracy or another urinary pregnancy test. But at your age, irregular menstrual bleeding is quite common because of hormonal disturbance.

Another option is to perform an ultrasound to exclude both pregnancy or PCOS. The latter is the major cause of irregular menstrual patterns.

|