Q. What could cause brown vaginal discharge?

Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta

I am a married, 27 year old female. For the last two months, my cycle was like 35-36 days cycle. Now for the past two days, I am having brown color discharge from the vagina, but not always. I had intercourse until 10 days back. What could be the reason for this discharge? Please advice.

Do you have a question on Vaginal Discharge or Menstrual Cycle?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta

MBBS., MD
Obstetrics And Gynaecology

I understood your problem.

It seems that you are suffering from hormonal imbalance. Did you recently take any new medication? Or are you undergoing any stress which can cause this?

It does not seem like a pregnancy issue as that would not cause a brown discharge so early. Besides it is highly unlikely to get pregnant by intercourse on 22nd in a cycle of 35 days.

You can take hormone pills for two to three months to stabilize your hormones, and the problem should resolve. But before I prescribe you the medicine, I would like to know if you are under any medication? Have you got any test done for the same?

I am taking medicines for migraine now. Is the chance of pregnancy less? For 35 day cycle, when is the fertile period? Please advice.

Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta

MBBS., MD
Obstetrics And Gynaecology

Since you had only two months of cycle change, it is unlikely to predict the fertile period. You will have a fertile time of something around 28-30 day in 35 days cycles by assuming that previously your cycles were of 28 days.

Earlier your fertile time would be somewhere around 15-20th day. But ovulation in irregular cycles cannot be firmly predicted. As you said that you had intercourse up until 10 days back, there is definitely a chance of pregnancy in this cycle.

Though you are pregnant, it is not usual to get brownish discharge so soon after conception. If it occurs after two to three weeks then we could have thought regarding implantation bleed.

If you had unprotected intercourse and suspect pregnancy, get a home pregnancy test kit and check yourself unless you get periods. If negative, let me know so that we start you on medicines to start periods and then regularize them. There is also a chance to get a disturbance in your menstrual cycle from the migraine tablets.

Hope everything turns out well for you.

Had brownish discharge after protected sex. Is it implantation bleeding?
Query: Hi doctor, I had protected sex. Two weeks later, I had light brownish to light red color discharge that lasted for a day and the next day there was light brownish discharge. Is this implantation bleeding? I am worried. If so, after how days of implantation bleeding can I do blood test or hCG to dete...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you had protected sex and that too 15 days back, this brownish discharge could be due to irregular shedding possibly due to progesterone hormonal imbalance during the cycle. If it is implantation bleeding then it would have occurred in the next seven days. To be sur...  Read Full »

Having PCOS, How to regularize the menstrual cycle?
Query: Hi doctor, I am 23 years old. I am really worried and fed up with my fat thighs and hips. As I am suffering from polycystic ovarian syndrome and I used to miss my menses. Now, my menstruation is regular. But, whenever I skip physical exercise I am sure that I will miss my menses. I think these all...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you are a case of PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome), which brings obesity and insulin resistance along with it. Consult a doctor for medical advice to lose weight and improve insulin resistance to allow regular menses to occur. Also it is important to maintain hea...  Read Full »

I had periods after intercourse. Will it be implantation bleeding?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 24 year old unmarried lady. Now, I am in a very panic period of stress and in seek of your advice. I had intercourse with my fiance on the first day of my periods and again after 20 days that is on my most fertile day. I got my periods 13 days later and it lasted for around three d...  Read Full »
Dr. Shruti Kainth Kaushal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. As per your history it appears that you are not pregnant. You have not got delayed periods. As you have got periods after 13 days the possibility of implantation bleeding cannot be ruled out. Regarding pregnancy, the possibility is nil. For furt...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now