HomeAnswersObstetrics and Gynecologyvaginal disordersI have severe pain while having penetrative sex or when I try to insert my finger into the vagina. Why so?

What could be the reason for the pain in the vagina while having penetrative sex?

Share

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At February 22, 2023
Reviewed AtJanuary 23, 2024

Patient's Query

I have severe pain when I insert my finger into the vagina and during penetration while having sexual intercourse. What could be the reason?

Kindly help.

Answered by Dr. Monica Mathur

Thank you for your query.

You are having a vaginal spasm. In such cases, the muscles around your vulva and vagina are contracted, so anything inserted through your vagina receives resistance from your muscles. Such conditions usually occur due to stressful sexual intercourse or when you are not fully prepared for the act. Although, such conditions are usually treatable. I would suggest you take a test. You can insert two fingers inside your vagina even with resistance, then you have a normal development of your vagina, and the cause is confirmed. Kindly consult a specialist.

I hope this has helped you. Thank you.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Monica Mathur
Dr. Monica Mathur

Obstetrics and Gynecology

Community Banner Mobile

iCliniq's FREE Newsletters

Expert-backed health and wellness information, delivered to your email.

Subscribe iCliniq
By clicking Subscribe, I agree to the iCliniq Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy and understand that I may opt out of iCliniq subscriptions at any time.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Obstetrics and Gynecology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy