Q. I have recurrent vaginal yeast infection. Can I take the COVID-19 vaccine?

Dr. Manisha Auradkar Raghunath Auradkar

I am a 20-year-old female with a weight of 60 kgs and a height of 5'5 feet. I have a recurrent vaginal yeast infection, and it started five months ago. I even consulted the doctor, and she prescribed tablet Diflucan one dose 150 mg. A vaginal swap report also proved the infection. Symptoms were itching and white thick cottage discharge without odor. I took medicine, but it did not cure the infection, so I stopped tablet Diflucan afterward as I was afraid of its impact on the kidneys. Now, infection keeps coming back every month after menstruation. But now, it is not severe and does not cause a lot of itching. Since COVID-19 is spiking, I want to take the Sputnik V vaccine for it. I do not know whether I can take it or not as I have a vaginal yeast infection. I have no other illnesses. Can you please tell me if I can take the COVID-19 vaccine?

#

I can understand your concern. We should treat vaginal yeast infection properly with appropriate medications. You said that you stopped the medications due to the fear of their adverse effects on kidneys. Your doctor would have suggested the medication considering all the side effects in mind. So do not worry. Take the medicines as per your doctor’s advice. Even then, if you do not want to take oral medications, then talk to your gynecologist. She will suggest effective ointment as there are vaginal suppositories available that can be used locally and are effective.

Regarding the COVID-19 vaccine, you can take the vaccine even if you have a vaginal yeast infection.

I hope it helps. Feel free to contact me for any further queries in the future.

|