Q. I have an itchy swelling on the inner labia. What could it be?

Dr. Sonal Prasad
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 08, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 15, 2020

I had unprotected sex with my husband a week ago. I felt some pain during sex and after a day I started getting itchy on the inner side of my left inner labia. I tried to rub a cotton swab to check it and there was fresh blood on it. It happens even now, although itching and irritation has stopped. There is no pain or foul vaginal discharge. I tried checking myself in the mirror and saw a bit swelling on the left inner labia and something like a sort of cut on the swelled portion. I feel mucus like smell when I touch the swollen part. Also, my vagina is too dry. What could it be?

#

• There might be two possibilities. Either Bartholin's cyst or infected hematoma.
  • You need to upload the picture for us to make the correct diagnosis. The size of the lesion will help us decide whether it can be managed with medications or incision might be needed.
  • Other steps to be taken are as follows. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the treatment with consent.
  1. Tablet Fluconazole 150 mg on the first day of periods for both you and your partner.
  2. Wear loose cotton undergarments and avoid shaving the area.
  3. Use Lactacyd lotion (lactoserum and lactic acid) for local cleaning and apply hot fomentation of the area.
  • Please note that the above is only supportive advice. You need to upload a picture to assess the size and degree of infection.

Revert back with the photos to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|