Q. I have itchy vagina. What should I do to help it?

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati

I have an itchy vagina, which aggravates at night. It has been about three days since experiencing itchy valvular. It aggravates at night. Application of anything with Boric powder soothes temporarily. What is causing it? Recently I started taking medicines of Vitamin C, Vitamin E, and Omega C.

#

May I know if you face any vaginal discharge problems like foul smell, thick white discharge, or any watery or greenish-yellow discharge?

No discharge. I have itchiness and redness.

#

Does that area burn while passing urine? Especially when urine splashes at that area? Mostly it is a candidal (yeast) infection.

Can you please recommend medication?

#

Please answer my question.

The area burns while and after urination. Cleaning with cold water gives temporary relief, itchiness, reddishness, and discomfort starts again. Unable to access the prescription.

#

You can start applying Candid-B cream locally twice daily after cleansing the genital region for a week. It is available easily over the counter. Also, use V-wash for local cleansing.

Take a single dose tablet of Fluconazole 150 mg after food (check if you are allergic to this kind of medication, like any history of allergies to drugs). Drink plenty of water and fluids. Change your undergarments frequently (at least twice daily) avoid sweating in that area.

I got the medication and started using from last week. It is better than earlier, but still not completely cured. Itchiness is for a few minutes, even after application of the cream at night. I am taking the tablet once per day.

#

You should be getting some relief once you complete the cream application course for seven days, as mentioned. Please use V wash for local cleansing of the genital parts, change your undergarments twice daily, and avoid sweating in that region. Use lukewarm water to clean the area.

The Fluconazole tablet is only a single day (only one tablet) medication, not daily medication. Please let me know how many pills you took since Saturday. If already take more than one tablet, please stop taking it any further.

You can take the below mentioned anti-allergic medication at bedtime for three days if the itching is intense in the night. If not, just wait for some time. It will subside. It would be better to get yourself checked by a gynecologist as you seem to be having recurrent symptoms of candidal infection.

Vulvovaginal candidiasis.

Blood glucose (fasting and post-meal). Hemogram. Urine routine and microscopy.

Tablet Cetirizine hydrochloride 10 mg at bedtime after food for three days in case of severe itching. V-wash for local cleansing.

I had the tablet for five days and stopped. I have stopped the gel too after five days. But after the itchiness started again, I continued the gel, though not regularly. I have not had tablets beyond that. And I have done the blood tests.

#

The Fluconazole tablet is only taken for a single day, not for five days. I had also mentioned the last time for a single tablet only. Consumption of too many medications will lead to resistance to the drug in the causative microorganism. So please always follow your doctor's prescription carefully.

So anyway, if you have not taken the tablet this time, I would advise you to wait. Also, I would like to know if there is any thick curdy white vaginal discharge associated with your problems? If yes, then that will also need treatment accordingly.

Meanwhile, you can continue to apply the Candid B cream locally, twice daily, for a total of seven days. Also, your blood tests are absolutely fine (attachment removed to protect patient identity). So do not worry, it will improve with the cream application. Just follow a few measures of hygiene as advised previously.

|