Q. What is the non-fungal reason for vaginal itching during pregnancy?

Dr. Reetika Joshi

The labia area of my vagina has been extremely itchy with an occasional burning sensation and mucus discharge for the past year. There are a few bumps on my vagina that the doctor has not seen yet. The itchiness began when I was six weeks pregnant, and I was tested for almost everything it could be besides genital warts or herpes, and I tested negative for all. I was told that it could be a yeast infection or vulva dermatitis and that it would go away after the delivery, but it is persistent even after I gave birth to my child. I have taken antibiotics, OTC Cortizone and Hydrocortisone treatment, Vagisil, Monistat, and no creams have helped ease the itch. I have uploaded all the test reports and a picture of the discharge. I have constantly been going to the gynecologist and still have no answers. What can I do?

#

I understand your concern, and I will surely help you. I have gone through all the details presented by you (attachment removed to protect the patient’s identity). You are following all the right medicines. Is there any odor associated with the discharge you experience? Also, is there any reason for not getting tested for herpes or warts, given that the problem has been present for a long time now? How many days have the bumps been present? How do you wax or shave?

My recommendations are:

1. Wear loose cotton undergarments.

2. Keep the private area dry.

3. Observe excellent hygiene.

4. Use a good feminine wash to clean the area.

5. Avoid intense exercise.

Do not worry and share the requested details. Feel free to ask any questions or to share any additional information.

Thank you for the reply.

My OB said I did not need to be tested for herpes or genital warts, but I did ask to be tested for it. There is no odor, although when I was about three months pregnant, I did smell an odor from down there. It went away after about two weeks. I used a PH balance wash down there, which seemed to help, but it did not relieve the itchiness. The bumps seem to appear and disappear randomly. But it has been happening since the itchiness began. They feel very small, sort of like pimples. They are not clustered together either. They seem to be spread out, and I have not felt more than five of them over the time period. However, I have not been able to get a picture of them. My husband also has none of my symptoms. He has no itchiness or anything down there at all. I did shave about one month ago to see if I could get a clearer picture of my vagina and the bump that I felt at that time. The bump was on my inner labia, where it folds. Also, the medicines (creams) seem to irritate it more, especially after a few days of use.

#

Thank you for the update and additional details. I understand how frustrating and irritating it must be for you as you are undergoing a problem with no clear diagnosis. As the bumps are pimple type and are not clustered together, they may not be warts or herpes. Since you have been taking medicines and applying creams for yeast infection and still not seeing any results, it can be some allergy due to the fabric of the cloth, the soap you use down there, or the razor you use to shave. Has there been any correlation with the change of brand of undergarments or soap for washing undergarments or shaving kit around the time you started having this problem? Also, did you start any medication or dietary ingredients around the time you started having this problem? Do you have any burning sensation during urination or fever at any time? Are your periods regular now? Do not worry, we will sort out this issue together. I am always there for you. Please share the details as requested to identify the exact underlying cause of your problem. Also, as discussed earlier, please change to loose-fitting cotton undergarments, maintain a dry sweat-free vaginal area, use a good feminine wash, and use a gentle soap to wash your undergarments.

|