I have vaginal itching despite taking medicines. What do I do?

Q. What is the treatment for vaginal itching?

Answered by
Dr. Ashwini. V. Swamy
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 09, 2022 and last reviewed on: Jan 25, 2023

Hello doctor,

For quite a while, I have had itching in my vagina. Initially, when I used to go for my yearly check-up. She used to give me a tablet for antifungal. FAS kit, but it would not subside. Again I went to her she suggested Triben plus cream. It would reduce only to come back again. Then I went to another doctor she also gave me tablets for antifungal. She physically examined me and said no discharge and no rashes. she prescribed the tablet Forcan 150, tablet Canditral, AF Kit, and Amfy V cream. I took all of this, but I had no change. When I visited her back, she suggested visiting a dermatologist. So then I visited one. She examined me and said it was some allergy and nothing more, and she recommended tablets Zyrtec, HHZole cream, and Mebex. After taking this medicine, it considerably reduced the itching to a large extent. But after some days, it came back but very mildly. As of today, it is still there mildly. So I apply only HHZole cream. There is a relief for about two to three days. Then again, mild itching is there. What is to be done? Please advise.



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

I understand your concern.

Vaginal itching at your age could be because of the following reasons.

1. Age-related vaginitis as the vagina becomes dry as the natural vaginal secretions decrease over some time.

2. Vaginal candidiasis is a fungal infection; white discharge with itching will be the presenting symptom.

It is best to check your diabetic status and see if your partner has genital candidiasis if you are sexually active.

HHZole (Corticosteroid) has steroids, and you should not use it for more than a week. Ask your dermatologist for a wet mount test to see for candidiasis. I suggest plain Clotrimazole gel and avoiding steroid combination cream. I cannot prescribe medication without seeing your clinical conditions and confirming the diagnosis.

I hope you find it helpful.

Kind regards.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
How to resolve vaginal itching and dryness?

Keeping these in mind, first do a vaginal swab test ... Then, I suggest applying candid vaginal cream (Clotrimazole) at bedtime and take plenty of yogurt with breakfast ...   Read full

I am still worried about the vaginitis that I got due to NuvaRing, two years back. Please help.

What you can do at present are two tests called high vaginal swab culture and sensitivity, which is tell us whether any infection is there at present or not ... Two years ago, I was on NuvaRing,   Read full

I am having severe vaginal itching in the night. Why?

Hi doctor, For the past few weeks, I have had severe vaginal itching ... It looks like you have developed vaginal moniliasis, a type of fungal infection ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

PCOS and Liver Problems
The hormonal imbalances in polycystic ovary syndrome could cause liver diseases. Read the article to know the relationship between these medical conditions.  Read more»
Inferior Alveolar Nerve Lateralization Technique
The inferior alveolar nerve lateralization technique is a surgical lateralization technique to reposition the nerve. Read the article to know more about this.  Read more»
COVID-19 and Ebola: Similarities and Differences
This article gives a comparison and broader overview of the outbreak of the two deadliest diseases that showed a greater incidence over the last two decades.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Dermatologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.