Q. Why does my vagina itch during the period?

This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 21, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am 11 years old. I am on my period. My vagina hurts and itches during the period. Why?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

At the young age of 11, itching around the time of periods may be just minor infection. Usual infections are respiratory infection or urinary infection.

If you have any respiratory infection, suppose you cough into hands later if you wash your genitals with same hands after using the wash room. This will transmit the infection to vaginal area, and you get itching around area. Same is with urinary infection.

When you have periods, the vascularity of the vagina and surrounding area is increased. When the vascularity increases the infection flares up, and you get itching.

Another possibility is just skin dryness.

• To get relief, wash the perineum and area around the vagina with a vaginal wash or bland washes. Do not use rough soaps.
  • Use mild antibiotics for respiratory infection. Also, use some mild Aloe vera cream or moisturising cream locally after bath.
  • Use only cotton undergarments. Avoid synthetic or nylon undergarments. Do not use them at night.
  • Try to keep the perineal as dry as possible.
  • If itching is significant, I suggest you apply any of the antifungal plus antibiotic cream twice a day for three to five days.

For further doubts consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|