Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. Why does my vagina itch during the period?

Answered by
Dr. R Balakrishnan Menon
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 21, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hi doctor,

I am 11 years old. I am on my period. My vagina hurts and itches during the period. Why?

Dr. R Balakrishnan Menon

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology


Welcome to

At the young age of 11, itching around the time of periods may be just minor infection. Usual infections are respiratory infection or urinary infection.

If you have any respiratory infection, suppose you cough into hands later if you wash your genitals with same hands after using the wash room. This will transmit the infection to vaginal area, and you get itching around area. Same is with urinary infection.

When you have periods, the vascularity of the vagina and surrounding area is increased. When the vascularity increases the infection flares up, and you get itching.

Another possibility is just skin dryness.

  • To get relief, wash the perineum and area around the vagina with a vaginal wash or bland washes. Do not use rough soaps.
  • Use mild antibiotics for respiratory infection. Also, use some mild Aloe vera cream or moisturising cream locally after bath.
  • Use only cotton undergarments. Avoid synthetic or nylon undergarments. Do not use them at night.
  • Try to keep the perineal as dry as possible.
  • If itching is significant, I suggest you apply any of the antifungal plus antibiotic cream twice a day for three to five days.

For further doubts consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
What do you suggest for vaginal itching in a 3 year old?
How to regularize my menstrual cycle?
I am having severe vaginal itching in the night. Why?

This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Can I use Terbinaforce plus cream for a vaginal infection?

Query: Hello doctor,Can Terbinaforce plus cream be used for a vaginal infection? I have itching after periods. Please guide.  Read Full »

How is a vaginal infection treated?

Query: Hi doctor, I have got some vaginal infection. I feel itching, burning and some kind of cut and marks on my vagina. I would like to know the treatment for this. Please help.  Read Full »

Tackling the Time Of Menstrual Cycle Every Month

Article Overview: Abdominal pain during periods is a very common issue affecting women.Adhering to a healthy lifestyle i.e balanced diet, physical activity,mental relaxation etc improves the ability to cope with pain.Pain killers can be taken as advised by your gynaecologist. Read Article

Dr. Gowrimeena
Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Abdominal Pain: Abdominal pain during periods is a very common issue affecting 40-70% of women in the reproductive age group. In medical terms we call this as dysmenorrhoea. This is associated with significant psychological, physical, behavioral and social distress. Usually it starts at the onset...  Read Article

Also Read

This article provides you with all the information that you should be knowing about miscarriage. Although this is an emo...  Read more»
COVID-19 Testing
COVID-19 testing includes analyzing patient samples to determine current or past infections with SARS-CoV-2. Read the ar...  Read more»
I feel a restlessness in my legs, which decreases my sleep quality. How to get a refreshing sleep?
Hello doctor, I cannot get refreshing sleep some days in a week, and some days it is good. I also have difficulty sleep...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Obstetrician & Gynaecologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.