Q. I got a lesion near my vagina after unprotected sex. Does this indicate herpes?

Dr. Muhammad Zubayer Alam

I got intimate with my partner (no penetrative vaginal sex, only oral sex) and took a plan B contraception. I get my period after ten days, and all my pregnancy tests were always negative. I also went to the gynecologist who checked my area, and she swabbed me for gonorrhea, chlamydia, HPV, and all those came back negative.

Then, recently I found a lesion near my vagina area and then went to a nurse practitioner to show her, and she said it looks like a tear and not herpes. But she did a culture test, and the results have not come back yet. That same evening, I spoke to a telemedicine doctor who looked at the photo and said it is herpes.

I went to the gynecologist again, saying it does not look like herpes, and then asked me to get blood tested for all STDs. Those results have not come back yet either. Can you look at the lesion and advise? I am going crazy and cannot sleep, and I am already thinking I am diseased and will never be able to have a sexual partner again in my life. Please help.

#

I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have been suffering from a vaginal lesion with a burning sensation but no pain or burning during micturition.

According to the picture provided here (attachment removed to protect patient identity), you may suffer from vulvar ulcers. Do you suffer from vaginal discharge? It seems to me vaginal discharge, which is whitish. Am I correct?

If your answer yes, then I think you may suffer from vulvar ulcer with whitish vaginal discharge. Most probably, it is caused by vaginal yeast named Candida Albicans. Candidiasis may be the cause of your vulvar ulcer.

Again, such types of lesions can result from HPV (human papillomavirus), syphilis, chlamydia, a viral infection like varicella-zoster, EBV (Epstein Barr virus), or cytomegalovirus, bacterial infections, inflammatory diseases, trauma, allergic reactions, medications, etc.

You can undergo some investigations like urine culture, a biopsy from that lesion, etc. Along with your STD (sexually transmitted disease) tests, you will find out the exact underlying causes for your present sufferings and then treat them accordingly.

From my view, as I have already mentioned that you may suffer from candidiasis. Antifungal may be the treatment of choice with topical steroid cream.

But do you think this is herpes? I am extremely concerned.

#

I have already mentioned my prediction or diagnosis. It is difficult to say without examining physical and confirmatory tests like biopsy from the vaginal lesion, it cannot be said anything confirmly.

But, I do not think it is not herpes. According to the picture, it does not seem to be herpes. But herpes has a peculiar appearance and presentation. So without investigations, it is difficult to say.

Genital herpes usually looks like a cluster of itchy or painful blisters-filled with fluid. I have not seen such type of blisters in that picture. The blisters break into sores that bleed or ooze a whitish fluid. This picture may be after bleeding or oozing. Do not worry. I think it is not herpes.

|