Q. I have a lump in vaginal area with itching, soreness and discharge. Please help.

Dr. Hari Pathave

I am a 33-year-old female. I am concerned about a lump on my genital area and I am very worried it is a wart. I have had this problem on and off for about eight months now. I also have vaginal itching, soreness, and discharge. I visited a sexual health clinic and they said it was not herpes, but I am still suffering with the symptoms and the lump seems to have grown. Please help.

#

Please provide me dome details. Do the blisters appear first then this type lump? Is it painful? Does every time you get only one such lump or multiple also? Do you have any fever? Have you noticed small blistering anytime? It will help me figure out your problem.

For time being it is difficult to conclude it as a wart, but if you give the above information then it will be easy to conclude.

Serum IgM and IgG for HSV (herpes simplex virus) 1 and 2, if possible serology for HPV (human papillomavirus).

Follow up with details.

I have had no blisters near the lump or before the lump appeared. It is not painful and does not itch. The itchy feeling is on my labia majora, labia minora and sometimes around my vagina opening. I have had this single lump now for three months and no other lumps have grown. I had no fever, but I get a sore throat, dry tongue, and a burning sensation around my mouth when I get the discomfort.

#

As per your information, photograph (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and recent reply, as this lump is present for the last three months, no pain, or itching and no blisters. This is probably primary chancre of syphilis but not confirmed. For confirmation, you can go for VDRL (venereal disease research laboratory) and TPHA (treponema pallidum hemagglutination) test.

Second possibility is an aphthous ulcer (persistent).

Wart is a less possibility because in the photograph it looks depressed lump type with margin having mild redness and it is there for three months. There should multiple lumps if the case is of wart.

So, for time being you can apply Fluticasone propionate 0.005% plus Mupirocin 2% cream BD for seven days and do VDRL and TPHA test for syphilis accordingly treatment will be planned.

Follow up with VDRL and TPHA test reports.

|