Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. I have a lump in vaginal area with itching, soreness and discharge. Please help.

Answered by
Dr. Hari Pathave
and medically reviewed by Dr. Vinodhini. J
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 28, 2020

Hello doctor,

I am a 33-year-old female. I am concerned about a lump on my genital area and I am very worried it is a wart. I have had this problem on and off for about eight months now. I also have vaginal itching, soreness, and discharge. I visited a sexual health clinic and they said it was not herpes, but I am still suffering with the symptoms and the lump seems to have grown. Please help.

Dr. Hari Pathave

Dermatology Venereology


Welcome to

Please provide me dome details. Do the blisters appear first then this type lump? Is it painful? Does every time you get only one such lump or multiple also? Do you have any fever? Have you noticed small blistering anytime? It will help me figure out your problem.

For time being it is difficult to conclude it as a wart, but if you give the above information then it will be easy to conclude.

Investigations to be done:

Serum IgM and IgG for HSV (herpes simplex virus) 1 and 2, if possible serology for HPV (human papillomavirus).

Regarding follow up:

Follow up with details.

Was this answer helpful?


Thank you doctor,

I have had no blisters near the lump or before the lump appeared. It is not painful and does not itch. The itchy feeling is on my labia majora, labia minora and sometimes around my vagina opening. I have had this single lump now for three months and no other lumps have grown. I had no fever, but I get a sore throat, dry tongue, and a burning sensation around my mouth when I get the discomfort.

Dr. Hari Pathave

Dermatology Venereology


Welcome back to

As per your information, photograph (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and recent reply, as this lump is present for the last three months, no pain, or itching and no blisters. This is probably primary chancre of syphilis but not confirmed. For confirmation, you can go for VDRL (venereal disease research laboratory) and TPHA (treponema pallidum hemagglutination) test.

Second possibility is an aphthous ulcer (persistent).

Wart is a less possibility because in the photograph it looks depressed lump type with margin having mild redness and it is there for three months. There should multiple lumps if the case is of wart.

So, for time being you can apply Fluticasone propionate 0.005% plus Mupirocin 2% cream BD for seven days and do VDRL and TPHA test for syphilis accordingly treatment will be planned.

Regarding follow up:

Follow up with VDRL and TPHA test reports.

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Is my oral sore due to herpes infection?
I have a knot that keeps coming up just on the outside of my vagina.It hurts really bad.Is it something serious?
What does waterlike vaginal discharge indicate?

This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Please look at the picture I have attached and tell me if it is an STD.

Query: Hello doctor,I have noticed an outgrowth near my vagina. When I consulted a doctor, she suggested it could be genital warts. We did the STD test for HPV and it came negative. But, I am so scared. Please help.  Read Full »

Does canker sore make lymph node swollen?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 30 year old male. I have a canker sore. I was wondering if it is common to have a swollen right lymph node with tenderness, body pain, and tiredness along with the sore. Please explain.  Read Full »

What is the problem for having vaginal discharge, itching and irritation while peeing?

Query: Hi doctor, I have bleeding after sex. I have pain while having sex. I have vaginal discharge and irritation while peeing and itching. Is this an infection or something else? I took an Unwanted 72 before three days.  Read Full »

Also Read

This article provides you with all the information that you should be knowing about miscarriage. Although this is an emo...  Read more»
COVID-19 Testing
COVID-19 testing includes analyzing patient samples to determine current or past infections with SARS-CoV-2. Read the ar...  Read more»
I feel a restlessness in my legs, which decreases my sleep quality. How to get a refreshing sleep?
Hello doctor, I cannot get refreshing sleep some days in a week, and some days it is good. I also have difficulty sleep...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Dermatologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.