Q. I have two marks on labia with no pain or discomfort. Does it suggest herpes or HPV?

Dr. Richa Agarwal

I have noticed two marks on my labia. They neither cause me pain or discomfort. I have labeled them in the photo. I believe one of them is an ingrown hair. I am not sure what the second is? I did not have sex for a few weeks and while doing sex I used a condom with the same partner. I am wondering if this looks like herpes or HPV? Does this look like an std? Is this a concerning presentation of my labia?

#

I have gone through your history and picture and understand your concern. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

These spots could be due to inflammation or a simple fungal or bacterial infection. Apply some ointment on it and keep watch on it (size, color, and pain).

Does it look like herpes? Do I need to be concerned about that or be concerned in general? Please address all questions.

#

It is most likely not herpes as it is not painful and no itching. You can take it as a general infection and no need to worry about it. Any history of vaginal discharge or something? Apply T-bact ointment on it and see the effect.

But does this look like herpes would present? I do not really feel that reassured after speaking with you. Regardless of symptoms, I am asking about the appearance? I also did not have sex for the past seven weeks and used a condom the last time. I have no abnormal discharge. Am I safe to have sex?

#

Why you are worried about herpes? As you have safe sex, no discharge, and no pain there is a less likely chance of herpes. And images which you have shared less likely look like herpes. (herpes lesion are usually clustered and blister-type filled with secretions). So you can use acondom and do safe sex. If you have any doubt please take a close watch on it for further evaluation and management.

But you are not answering the question. I am worried because the bump in my vulva worries me. I am asking a point does this look like herpes? Yes or no? You are not providing a clear response, and when you say “less like chance” that means you think it could be herpes. And I am seeking an answer on whether you think this is, not the probability?

#

It does not look like herpes. Herpes lesions are pus-filled vesicles, your's is not like that. So it is not herpes.

I hope it will give you a clear answer to your question.

|