Q. My vagina is irregular with fleshy erosions and pink spots. Could this be a cyst?

Answered by
Dr. Priyadarshini Tripathy
and medically reviewed by Dr. Vinodhini. J
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 18, 2020

Hello doctor,

My vagina looks irregular inside with many flesh erosions and white bumps with pink spots on it. Not sure if it is a cyst or what. It is not painful, and no other symptoms. I was checking myself and noticed inside of my vagina looks a bit odd. I have been using Boric acid suppositories because I get yeast infections frequently, and I am also on birth control.



Welcome to

I have gone through the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

I can say the differential diagnosis could be:

1) Recurrent vulvovaginal candidiasis.

2) Vaginal inclusion cysts due to previous trauma to the vagina.

3) Genital warts due to sexually transmitted infection, caused by specific strains of HPV. Although not all warts are not dangerous, some strains of HPV have a risk of cancerous transformation.

4) Allergy or local skin irritation to boric acid.

It is very important to do some tests to know the exact cause so that you can have the right treatment. The boric acid might also cause allergy to the genital tract, so if you could stop it for some time, it would be good to see whether the lesions have subsided.

Do the below-mentioned investigations and then you can see a local gynecologist to do a speculum examination to check your cervix and vagina. Meanwhile, apply Clindamycin + Clotrimazole ointment or pessary high up in the vagina. Apply with clean hands.

Investigations to be done:

STI (sexually transmitted infection) PCR on first pass urine. High and low vaginal swab. Pap smear. Examination by speculum by a local gynecologist later to see the cervix and vagina. Can send biopsy of suspicious lesions if any.

Preventive measures:

Do not apply soap, detergent, or scented products to the vagina. Wash vagina with normal water. Wear cotton undergarments. Avoid douching.

Thank you doctor,

So what is the another alternative other than boric acid for yeast? Like OTC. Do you recommend that I hold off on the boric and just observe my vagina? Or go to the doctor as soon as possible? Does it look super bad?



Welcome back to

Yes, it is a good idea to stop using boric acid for a while. Instead, use Clotrimazole and Clindamycin cream for seven days instead. It is important to do the vaginal swab culture and sensitivity.

The picture does not look bad. You can apply Clotrimazole and Clindamycin and wait for seven days. If symptoms do not resolve, you can see your local gynecologist and request a speculum examination and the mentioned tests.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
What is causing fishy vaginal discharge with irregular bleeding?

If not accompanied by curdy white vaginal discharge, pathognomic of vaginal candidiasis ...   Read full

What should I do for severe vaginal itching?

Severe itching inside vagina is likely to be due to a possible vaginal fungal infection called vaginal candidiasis ... You should visit your gynecologist and get a h...   Read full

Please look at the picture I have attached and tell me if it is an STD.

Pap smear and other swab tests were done and everything was negative ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Monkeypox Virus - Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, Complications, and Prevention
Monkeypox is a zoonotic viral disease. This virus got its name as it was first noticed in laboratory monkeys in the late...  Read more»
Tomato Fever - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Tomato fever is an unidentified and fast-spreading type of viral infection seen in young children. Scroll down to know m...  Read more»
Histrionic Personality Disorder - Causes, Signs, Symptoms, Diagnosis and Treatment
Histrionic personality disorder causes variations in the thinking ability of a person. Read this article to know more.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Obstetrician & Gynaecologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.