Q. Is herpes virus infection the cause for lumps in the vaginal wall?

Dr. Richa Agarwal
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

I am 2 months post-childbirth. A few days back, I have noticed that inside the opening of my vagina, about three main pea-sized lumps were coming out, and when I spread further, I saw more pea-sized lumps, but they were not coming out as much as the others. I have no pain, discomfort or any odor, or irritation. It is just these coming out of my vagina and around the walls. I have had sex about three times post-childbirth before this has developed. I had just one initially, but now I have so many. Would you please tell me what is going on?

Please help.

#

Thanks for trusting us about your health care.

I have gone through your history and images (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and understand your concerns.

Your images are suggestive of polyp or herpes virus infection.

• Do you have any symptoms?
  • Do you have any discharge?
  • Have you practiced unprotected sex?
  • Are you on any medication?
  • Is your delivery a normal vaginal delivery?

I hope to hear from you soon.

I hope you found it useful. Feel free to ask for more information.

Good luck.

Thank you for your reply.

I am not on any medication, and my delivery was a normal vaginal delivery. Yes, I have had unprotected sex with my husband three times, and he has no issues and has never had any other sexual partners, and neither have I. It is not a herpes virus infection. It is probably a polyp. Can I please have more information about that?

#

Thanks for replying back.

It is most likely a vaginal polyp. A polyp is a benign growth in the vagina hanging with the help of stalk into the cervical canal. You can go for a hysteroscopy to see (confirm the diagnosis), remove the polyp, and send the tissue for investigation. It may cause severe bleeding, and sometimes it may be shed during menstrual bleeding.

I hope you found it helpful.

|