Q. Is herpes virus infection the cause for lumps in the vaginal wall?

Answered by
Dr. Richa Agarwal
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 26, 2021

Hi doctor,

I am 2 months post-childbirth. A few days back, I have noticed that inside the opening of my vagina, about three main pea-sized lumps were coming out, and when I spread further, I saw more pea-sized lumps, but they were not coming out as much as the others. I have no pain, discomfort or any odor, or irritation. It is just these coming out of my vagina and around the walls. I have had sex about three times post-childbirth before this has developed. I had just one initially, but now I have so many. Would you please tell me what is going on?

Please help.



Welcome to

Thanks for trusting us about your health care.

I have gone through your history and images (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and understand your concerns.

Your images are suggestive of polyp or herpes virus infection.

  • Do you have any symptoms?
  • Do you have any discharge?
  • Have you practiced unprotected sex?
  • Are you on any medication?
  • Is your delivery a normal vaginal delivery?

I hope to hear from you soon.

I hope you found it useful. Feel free to ask for more information.

Good luck.


Hi doctor,

Thank you for your reply.

I am not on any medication, and my delivery was a normal vaginal delivery. Yes, I have had unprotected sex with my husband three times, and he has no issues and has never had any other sexual partners, and neither have I. It is not a herpes virus infection. It is probably a polyp. Can I please have more information about that?



Welcome back to

Thanks for replying back.

It is most likely a vaginal polyp. A polyp is a benign growth in the vagina hanging with the help of stalk into the cervical canal. You can go for a hysteroscopy to see (confirm the diagnosis), remove the polyp, and send the tissue for investigation. It may cause severe bleeding, and sometimes it may be shed during menstrual bleeding.

I hope you found it helpful.


Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
I have been diagnosed with early-stage lupus. What can I expect in the future?

.. worry; we are here to help you. The large joint pains are not significant for autoimmune (abnormal immune response) diseases. I need to know if you have: Any specific small joint pains. Any eye problems like uveitis (frequent reddening or itch...   Read full

The color and shape of a mole on my leg have changed. Should I be concerned?

size, shape, and color of nevus, I would suggest you consider skin biopsy test ...   Read full

What exercises will lead to normal delivery in a person with small cervical length?

.. needs to be checked again at 24 weeks for further advice. In general, twin pregnancy has a tendency for preterm labor. Your focus right now should be on preventing preterm labor rather than normal delivery. For normal delivery to happen, you do no...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Monkeypox Virus - Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, Complications, and Prevention
Monkeypox is a zoonotic viral disease. This virus got its name as it was first noticed in laboratory monkeys in the late...  Read more»
Tomato Fever - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Tomato fever is an unidentified and fast-spreading type of viral infection seen in young children. Scroll down to know m...  Read more»
Histrionic Personality Disorder - Causes, Signs, Symptoms, Diagnosis and Treatment
Histrionic personality disorder causes variations in the thinking ability of a person. Read this article to know more.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Obstetrician & Gynaecologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.