Q. How can I prevent getting vaginal tear during sex?

Dr. Nadia Khan

Everytime I have sex I get a vaginal tear. I did not have sex or wear a tampon for 10 weeks to let it heal. I had sex again last night and it tore again. I do not have an issue with lubrication, so I am not sure what to do.

Dr. Nadia Khan

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Vaginal tears after sex are mainly dependent on several causes like vaginal dryness, chronic skin conditions such as eczema, psoriasis or lichen planus, etc., and sometimes it may also be caused by the use of recreational medicine like Viagara by the partner. Vaginal tears could be superficial and deep.

Superficial tears usually result after having sex and they usually heal by themselves in few hours to 1 to 2 days and then usually do not bleed heavily. Deeper cuts usually occur during childbirth.

As you mentioned that it took 10 days to heal your previous tear then it sounds alarming. Was there any heavy bleeding or pus coming through it? And how long have you been facing this problem? Can I have a look at any picture of tear? I would suggest you that if you do not have any issues with lubrication (which is the most common cause of vaginal tear during sex) then you must get yourself assessed by the local doctor and get tear examined to determine the actual cause and appropriate treatment.

| 

I have attached a picture of the tear.

Dr. Nadia Khan

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Your tear seems to be of superficial nature (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and it seemed to be in healing phase now and usually during sex this kind of tears occur. You must get a full check-up for your general health to see if any undiagnosed problem is there.

Secondly, sometimes vaginal orifice tightness may also lead to these kinds of tears. For that, you can try dilators by gradually increasing their sizes. You might increase the vaginal opening size by dilation to reduce the chance of getting it torn off.

|