Q. I am suffering from recurrent vaginal thrush. What to do?

and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Apr 13, 2019

I had thrush a few weeks ago due to antibiotics. It subsided on taking cream and a pessary after which I stopped the cream in three to four days. After a few days, the thrush again appeared on my vagina (labia).

Nurse in a walk said still there is thrush and advised to take Fluconazole and cream. So took one pill of Fluconazole and took cream for a week. However, the painful cuts are still there and itchy. I have got some pictures attached. Wiping hurts a lot because it is sensitive to the touch. I also have some similar cut near my butt hole.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

These are definitely (attachment removed to protect patient identity) old thrush lesions which have become inflamed and red, due to possible frequent scratching following itching over the region. The scratching has possibly led to abrasions or knife-like cuts. They are likely to be painful and oozing increases if scratching continues.

Instead of using Plan Canesten cream, use cream Canesten-s (which contains Clotrimazole 1 % with Beclomethasone 0.025 % w/v) and apply it overall knife cut lesions thrice a day for the next three days.

Beclomethasone is a steroid which blocks the production of certain chemical messengers (prostaglandins) that make the skin red, swollen and itchy (often following scratching- vicious cycle). Clotrimazole is an antifungal which stops the growth of fungi on the surface by preventing them from forming their protective covering.

Keep the local area as dry as possible throughout the day, especially post micturition, use soft cotton towels to dry (clean sheets regularly and use a fresh one each time as tissues can cause further abrasions. So do not wipe, just pat and dry).

After that, you may apply an antifungal dusting powder (Canesten dusting powder) after application of the cream, over both vulval and peri-anal region which shall help local moisture in check and allow lesions to heal. Please wear loose cotton undergarments to avoid any further frictional injury.

What is the equivalent cream I can get? I am struggling to find one with the ingredients you describe. I saw Lotriderm which was similar, but then it said not to use on genital areas. Would Candid B be appropriate?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Yes, you can use Candid -B cream. It has the same constituents. Use of steroids over genitals is harmful and a standard instruction overleaf, but you can use a short course for three days over the vulval, peri-vulval and peri-anal region (which has stratum corneum as the skin top layer) and not vaginal or anal mucosa directly. So take care that you do not apply inside the vagina or anal canal. It is as similar to applying over skin externally.

If Lotriderm is available as an Otc, then you can use that as well, just that the concentration of Beclomethasone is double. So practice twice a day application. And only externally and only for three days and then see the response.

I cut the hair with some scissors very carefully. Does it look terrible? I cannot get that cream for a few days. What should I use for now? I have Canesten cream (clot 2 %), and I have pure Aloe Vera gel.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

You may use Vaseline over the cuts in the meantime as it would layer the cuts and this would soothe the sensitivity. Aloe vera gel would only soothe for some time, and they shall dry and can cause further sensitivity so better avoid and use just plain Vaseline in the meantime and alternate it with Canesten cream.

There is white discharge with burning and itching in vagina. Why?

Query: Hello doctor,There is some thrush coming out of my vagina and it is slightly yellowish like cottage cheese and along with that, my vagina is burning, itching, and inflamed.  Read Full »

What treatment can I take for thrush during pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 21 weeks pregnant and have intense itching in the vagina. I assume this is thrush. It started two weeks ago. So, I used a pessary and cream and things improved. About five days later, it got worse again. So, I repeated the pessary and cream treatment. Things again improved but four...  Read Full »

I have colorless and odorless discharge. Is it due to hormonal imbalance?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 30 year old female. I am suffering from white discharge since the last four months. It is colorless, odorless with no itchiness and the quantity of the discharge is more than normal. Two years back, I had a similar problem for which I was advised to take Fluconazole 150 mg thre...  Read Full »