Q. How to clean vagina properly after sex?

Dr. Deepti Kurmi
Published on Nov 10, 2019

How to properly clean the vagina after period sex, to avoid any discomfort? Is it necessary to clean the vagina after engaging in period sex, if so, why? What is the best way to properly clean the vagina after engaging in period sex? Is there anything else hygiene-related you wish more young women to know about period sex?

Dr. Deepti Kurmi

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

If you are not planning pregnancy, after intercourse you can simply wipe with dry tissue paper or if you feel sticky wash with water and dry with a tissue paper. On a regular basis, frequent washing and the use of soap should be avoided, as it hampers natural bacteria. Once or twice in a day while bathing, cleaning is enough. Just use a tissue paper if you feel damp after urinating. Wear cotton underwear, and try changing them twice a day. Avoid any perfumes or talc over your perineum.

I have yellow thick foul smelling vaginal discharge. What is the reason?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a yellow thick foul smelling discharge. It has been a while but it seems to be a problem. My partner also mentioned that I have extra smell compared to his previous partners. Why is this?  Read Full »

I always have an urge to pee after mastubration. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 21 year old male. Sometimes, after masturbation I feel urge to urinate regularly after every minute even though there is very less urine. Also I feel pain, some pricking and irritation feel while urinating. Sometimes, even without masturbation same problem occurs. Please advise me ...  Read Full »

What can cause white sticky discharge while on birth control?

Query: Hello doctor, I am currently on Microgestin birth control and I have been instructed to take it constantly to have no periods. About a year ago, I was treated for chlamydia and never had a problem since then. About a month ago, I missed my pill for birth control while having the flu and a week back,...  Read Full »