Q. My whole genital area is itching. What can I do?

Dr. Richa Agarwal

I had UTI two months before and now, I have a very painful bump at the right outer corner of the vagina which makes it difficult to walk and sit. I took antibiotics orally plus Fucidin cream as prescribed by the doctor, saying it could be an infection due to sweat glands. When I started taking medication, my vulva and labia major started itching on the same night. I took that medicines for two days. The bump problem subsided, but itching became more intense. Now it is three days, and my itching worsens every night. This time, my anus is itchy. Technically my whole genital area is intensely itchy. Please help.

#

I have gone through your history and understand your concerns. Your symptoms are suggestive of vaginitis. It is mainly due to fungal infection. Keep the area dry and clean, drink lots of warm water, eat a soft diet, and use antifungal medicine and cream for application. Avoid oily and sugary foods and eat lots of vegetables and fruits. Wear cotton undergarments. I hope this helps.

I applied Clotrimazole cream today, but it is not showing any improvement. My itch is getting worse over time. Could you please tell me how long it will take to recover? Please help.

#

I suggest a Clotrimazole tablet vaginally for six days, and you can apply Candid cream (Clotrimazole and Beclometasone) or Fluconazole tablet once weekly for three months. It will subside in about a week. I hope this helps.

|