Q. Should I be worried about my heart stopping for 11 seconds during vasovagal syncope?

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq
I'm a 21 year old male and take no medications. 4 years ago I started having Vasovagal Syncope episodes that have increased in frequensy over the years and I have now passed out from it around 10 times. My triggers for it are blood, needles, and damage to the wrists. My clinic reccomended that I wear a heart monitor for 30 days and when I passed out it showed that my heart stopped for 11 seconds and I was told to visit the E.R. I went to the nearest one and the cardiologist there informed me that my heart stopping that long was dangerous so they wanted to put a pacemaker in my the following morning. I redused and went to another hospital and they did a cardio ultrasound, told me my heart was fine, and then their cardiologist said that my heart stopping for that long was normal with Vasovagal Syncope and that I would be fine and let me go home. Those are 2 very different opinions and I wanted another. Should I be worried about my heart stopping for that long and is there any risk in it?

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

Cardiology General Practitioner
# Thanks for the query

1. First thing know that vaso vagal syncope is not dangerous. Try to avoid circumstances which lead to syncope.

2. When you feel that you are having syncope (prodrome), escape from that area/scene. Sit down on floor in squatting position, close fists tightly, drink 2 glasses of water. This will prevent from having syncope in most cases.

3. Pacemaker is usually implanted in those who are 40 years or more of age.

Please follow above steps, and let me know your condition. Don't worry, relax. Prevention is all that matters in vasovagal syncope.

Regards

| 

What neurological disorders could cause episodes of presyncope?

Query: Hello doctor, I keep having episodes of presyncope. I have been to the local ER four times and was admitted on the last time. During the course of those four visits, I had all my basic blood work done which came out normal. I had a CT scan without contrast that was normal. An ultrasound of my carot...  Read Full »

I felt lightheaded and like my heart stopped. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 74 year old male in excellent health, and I am not on any medications. Recently, I had a strange chest sensation. It felt like my heart stopped or skipped, and I felt lightheaded like I might pass out. I had an EKG, echocardiogram, and a Holter test done. The EKG results were n...  Read Full »

I am a pacemaker-dependent individual. What are my chances of survival?

Query: Hello doctor, I will try to be brief. I am a 49 year old female who has been pacemaker dependent for several years. Due to cardiomyopathy EF of 30 %, BNP of 186, and a cardiac event resulting in high troponin. I eventually was switched to a biventricular pacemaker/defibrillator. I had an echo last ...  Read Full »