Q. Should I be worried about my heart stopping for 11 seconds during vasovagal syncope?

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq
This is a premium question & answer published on May 20, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 07, 2021

I am a 21-year-old male and take no medications. Four years ago, I started having vasovagal syncope episodes that have increased in frequency over the years, and I have now passed out from it around ten times. My triggers for it are blood, needles, and damage to the wrists. My clinic recommended that I wear a heart monitor for 30 days, and when I passed out, it showed that my heart stopped for 11 seconds, and I was told to visit the emergency room. I went to the nearest one, and the cardiologist there informed me that my heart-stopping that long was dangerous, so they wanted to put a pacemaker in the following morning. I reduced and went to another hospital, and they did a cardio ultrasound, told me my heart was fine, and then the cardiologist said that my heart stopping for that long was normal with vasovagal syncope and that I would be fine and let me go home. Those were two very different opinions, and I wanted another. Should I be worried about my heart stopping for that long, and is there any risk in it?

#

Thanks for the query.

1. First thing you should know is that vasovagal syncope is not dangerous. Try to avoid circumstances that lead to syncope.

2. When you feel that you are having syncope (prodrome), escape from that area or scene. Sit down on the floor in a squatting position, close fists tightly, drink two glasses of water. This will prevent you from having syncope in most cases.

3. Pacemaker is usually implanted in those who are 40 years or more of age.

Please follow the above steps, and let me know your condition. Do not worry, relax. Prevention is all that matters in vasovagal syncope.

|