Q. My eye is red, swollen, and painful with watery fluid coming out of it. How to get rid of it?

Dr. Asha Juliet Barboza
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

I have red-eye, and watery fluid comes out of it. The eyelids are swollen on both top and bottom, and it is painful.

#

Thanks for your query. I understand your concern. I have a few questions to help come to a diagnosis.

• How many days since this occurred? Was it sudden or developed over some time, like a couple of days?
  • Is there any sticky yellow discharge?
  • Is there any sensation of a foreign body in the eye?
  • Is there any intolerance to light or inability to open the eye?
  • Is it very painful or just irritating?
  • Is there any swelling in front of the ear on touching (swollen lymph node)?
  • Do you have any fever or cold symptoms?

On looking at the photo attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it could either be viral conjunctivitis, a scratch on the cornea (abrasion), or something embedded in the eye. The treatment will depend on your answers to the above questions. Please reply to the message. An antibiotic eye drop like Moxifloxacin eye drops and an anti-inflammatory eye drop like Ketorolac will help subside the symptoms if it is an infection. But viral conjunctivitis will take time to reduce. A foreign body embedded will require an ophthalmologist to remove it. A scratch on the cornea will require either lubricating eye drops or an eye patch for 24 hours.

Thanks for your reply.

It happened a week ago, and it is extremely painful with a clear fluid. It is scratchy. She is sensitive to light now. It happened quickly. She vacuumed our car that has construction dust in it. There is no lymph node swelling and no cold or flu symptoms. Thank you.

#

If it has been there for a week and is very painful, she will require an eye examination. Another possibility is inflammation inside the eye, which we call anterior uveitis or acute iridocyclitis. This can only be confirmed by examination under a microscope by an optometrist or ophthalmologist. The treatment will be different if that is the case, which includes Prednisolone eye drops.

You can try patching up her eye overnight, but it will require using a sterile eye pad, which you can buy at the chemist. If it does not help, you will need to see an ophthalmologist as soon as possible. You can use Acular eye drops (Ketorolac) eye drops thrice a day which will help subside the inflammation to some extent until you meet the eye care specialist assuming you are not allergic to NSAIDS (Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs). If it is uveitis, it will not go away without treatment. I hope this helps.

|