Q. I am having fever, body pain and headache. What to do?

Dr. Jimesh H Mavani
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 28, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 26, 2020

For the past four days, I have body ache, headache and 102 degrees Fahrenheit fever. I am taking Augmentin 375 thrice a day and Paracetamol every three to four hours. Fever comes down to 100, but again increases to 102 once the effect of Paracetamol gets over. I feel so weak. Please suggest whether I should continue with the medicine or change the course. My weight is 90 kg. I do not have nasal block or sore throat. I only have headache and body ache.

#

If you are having fever for three to four days and not having any improvement, then do one blood test CBC with MP (complete blood count with metabolic panel) and one urine routine test. From history it looks like you have viral fever. If the platelet count is low in the report, then you have to do a test for dengue. Also, look at white blood cell count (WBC). If it is increased, then you have to take a higher dose of antibiotic along with some other antibiotic. If it is low, then it is some other viral fever. In that case continue your medication, take Paracetamol for fever and do sponging if the fever did not subside. If you are more uncomfortable, then get admitted and take proper nursing care.

In viral fever, we can give only supportive therapy as there is no definite treatment for it. Antibiotics in viral fever will just help to avoid another infection as your immunity will be low due to fever. Also, Augmentin 325 is pediatric dose (combination of Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid). You should increase the dose of Augmentin 625. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take the treatment with consent.

For further information consult a general practitioner online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

Many thanks. I am attaching my blood test reports. Kindly advice me the next course of medication. For the time being, I am continuing Augmentin 625, thrice a day for and tomorrow will be the fifth day. First three days, I took Augmentin 375 and today onwards as suggested by you I have switched to 625.

#

• I have seen the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and they are in the normal range.
  • That means the antibiotic you are taking is working. So, if you feel there is some decrease in the symptoms then continue with the same medicine for more five days.
  • And if you symptoms not relieved and you do not have any urine related problem then you I suggest you add tablet Ceftum 200mg (Cefuroxime) two times a day after food and tablet Pan D (Pantoprazole and Domperidone) once a day before a meal.
  • Consult your physician and get the prescription. If there is no relief for two more days, then you have to get admitted nearby.

| 

From the attached reports, please tell me the reason for frequent urination.

Query: Hello doctor, From the past few days, I have frequent urination. I am attaching all the test reports that I have done so far. I also got an x-ray and CT scan of the chest, but as I am out, I cannot upload them now. I will upload them later if you need it.  Read Full »

Will antibiotics help to improve IBS?

Query: Hello doctor,My mother is now 55 years and has been suffering from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) for over a year. Her condition was not so bad before. She was diagnosed with intestinal disease and was given some antibiotics like Flagyl or Metronidazole. After she took those pills for a month, she h...  Read Full »

Will antibiotics affect the sputum report?

Query: Hi doctor, I have cough for about a week. It is a mild one with a bit sore throat. So, I did my sputum test in a laboratory and the following are the results I received today. Acid fast bacilli smear - acid fast bacilli not detected. In sputum culture and sensitivity, culture - negative, organism - ...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a General Practitioner Now