Q. Kindly suggest a solution for my son's continuous fever.

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 30, 2016 and last reviewed on: Dec 04, 2020

My son, who is 15 years old, is suffering from fever. He has constant 100 to 102 degrees Fahrenheit of fever with throat pain for the last 15 days. Blood tests indicate negative for malaria and typhoid.  We consulted an ENT specialist and he indicated tonsillitis. My son is taking Movacef 500 for the last five days and Crocin 500 for the last 15 days with no result. The fever goes down whenever the Crocin tablet is used and my son also chews Strepsils for throat pain with no result. He has already lost 15 days of his college. No relief is foreseen anywhere in the near future. Are there any tests to be conducted?

#

• It would be helpful if you do a CBC (complete blood count) and CRP (C-reactive protein). From that we can understand the level of infection.
  • Also, tonsillitis can also be so severe that it may last for up to 10 days.
  • Betadine gargle three times a day with warm water for three days are advisable as it acts locally on the throat.

For further information consult a child health specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/child-health-specialist

I will send the reports as directed. Please suggest a solution to the continuous fever.

#

• I am considering that it would be better if you admit your son to the nearest hospital for a detailed examination and treatment as your history is suggestive of prolonged fever for more than 15 days.

Revert back with the reports to a child health specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/child-health-specialist

I am sending the reports. Please have a look.

#

I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• As per the reports, this looks like a viral infection. But, the platelets seem to be on the slightly lower side, which may be suggestive of dengue or a severe infection.
  • Also, the CRP report is quite high, which is suggestive of a severe infection. Now, it is important to find the source of infection if any, and the status of the platelets if they are rising or falling.
  • These tests would be preferred: CBC, SGPT (serum glutamic pyruvic transaminase), serum creatinine, chest x-ray, urine routine and microscopy, sonography abdomen, dengue NS1, immunoglobulin IgG, IgM and a blood culture.
  • Please admit the child at your nearest hospital if
  1. High grade documented fever of more than 102 degrees for more than three days.
  2. Lethargy and poor appetite.
  3. Multiple episodes of vomiting.
  4. Convulsion.
  • Please follow up with these reports and admit the child anytime you feel the child's condition is getting worse.

|