Q. My 10-month-old baby gets recurrent fever with raised ESR. Please help.

Dr. Rakesh Radheshyam Gupta

My baby boy is 10 months old. He weighs about 10 kg and his height is 77 cm.

His blood test shows:

WBC 11.28.

RBC 7.70.

HGB 9.9.

HCT 31,5 %.

MCV 67 FL.

MCH 21.1

MCHC 31.4

Platelets 402

Lymphocytes 68.2 %

Monocytes 4.1 %

Eosinophils % 2.9

Basophils% 0.4

Neuteophils% 24.4

Lymphocytes 7.69

Monocytes 0.46

Eosinophils 0.33

Basophils 0.04.

Neutrophils 2.76

RDW CV 18,7 %

RDW SD 42

PDW 9.9

MPV 9.2

P LCR 18.0%

PCT 0.37%

Erythrocyte sedimentation rate 35.

#

You have not mentioned any symptoms. Please send details. Your CBC (complete blood count) report is showing some infection. It could be mostly viral.

My kid had a viral fever for three days last month. I gave him Nurofen. Then fever subsided, but he had secretions in the nose. I used aerosol with physiological water. The following month also, he had a temperature for three days. After medication, fever subsided for two days, but again he got a fever of 38 degrees.

This time I gave him Nurofren 1.5 ml + Bactrim 2.5 ml for one week. He has cough and secretions. I used aerosol with physiological water. He had a fever the following week also. We gave him antibiotic injection with Bromhexine syrup 2.5 ml twice a day and Multivitamin 1 ml twice daily.

Today I did the blood tests,11 days after treatment. Kindly advise.

#

It seems that your child has a recurrent infection with a cough. Is there any family history of asthma or allergy? You have said that you did the blood test after 11 days of treatment. So is he having a fever now also? If yes, this seems to be a viral fever. His hemoglobin is even less. It would help if you continued Paracetamol and multivitamins. Also, if there is cough, you can give Bromhexine. Also, do not provide bottle feeding. It can cause infection. How are his activities? Is he playful?

He is fine now. None of our family members have allergies or asthma. No cough and no secretions. What other tests can I do? I am concerned about ESR.

#

Do not worry about the ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate). It is only slightly elevated. It will normalize gradually. Do not give Bromhexine.

Continue multivitamins. And also, start Iron syrup for low hemoglobin. No tests are needed if there is no fever. Watch for his activities and other symptoms.

|