Q. My 2-year-old son has high fever with wet cough and runny nose. Please suggest treatment.

Dr. Bhaisara Baraturam Bhagrati

My 2-year-old son has high fever since last night. I gave 5 ml of 100 mg Nurofen syrup. It helped but did not bring the fever fully down. He had another dose of syrup this morning, for the same issue. He has wet diapers, passed stools, ate a bit but not much, drinks water and is breastfed. He has a bit of cough (wet) and a very runny nose. We did bloodwork. Any thoughts?

#

I understand your concern. I have gone through the blood investigation (attachment removed to protect patient identity), which is suggestive of viral fever with low thrombocytopenia (low platelet count).

From the history and investigation, it looks like a viral fever which usually requires symptomatic treatment and will subside over a period of five to seven days.

Give fever medicine round the clock (four to six hourly). Instead of Nurofen (Ibuprofen), give local brand of Paracetamol 15 mg/kg per dose. Nurofen affects platelet counts, so it is usually avoided in viral fevers. Make sure that the throat is clear, no congestion which is usually a source of infection.

Use warm saline gargles frequently and use soap to wash your hands. If fever does not subside after 48 hours please do visit a doctor.

Should we be concerned with the drop in PLT in parallel with the drop in WBC? How long should we wait before seeing a doctor or doing another round of blood tests?

#

Welcome back to iclniq.com.

Like I said it usually takes five to seven days for the viral fever to subside. If the patient is improving, you can repeat blood investigation after seven days. If symptoms persist even after three days of what I advise, you should consult a doctor. Drop in PLT (platelets) with drop in WBC (white blood cells) is a part of viral fever presentation, it is diagnostic.

Yes, sorry I forgot to mention, the patient should be given complete rest with maintaining adequate hydration.

|