Viral Hepatitis

What does coarse echotexture of the liver mean?

Query: Hello doctor, I had an ultrasound of my abdomen yesterday and got the results today. My ALP is 155 and AST and ALT is within the normal range. I am not taking any medication at the moment, but I would like help with understanding what this means 'liver parenchyma has increased and coarse acoustic ...  Read Full »

Dr. Chandra Prakash Tanwar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As your abdomen ultrasound report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) shows an increased and coarse echotexture with no IHBD (intrahepatic bile duct) dilatation, the main cause is a fatty liver disease which shows an increased echogenicity in the liver. T...  Read Full »

Is it fine to take Prednisone and Azathioprine for autoimmune hepatitis?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been itching throughout my body, especially after eating, for about two years. I noticed fatigue and shortness of breath about 18 months ago. I stopped smoking before seven years. I stopped drinking before a year as my upper abdominal area started paining after drinking. Before fi...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are a few important facts I would want you to consider. We have to rule out other forms of hepatitis like viral hepatitis, amyloid or iron deposition, NASH (nonalcoholic steatohepatitis) and alcoholic liver disease. All three markers are non-specific; ant...  Read Full »

I began to eat more to make my body look normal post jaundice. Is it safe?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a jaundice (hepatitis A) patient. My earlier SGOT and SGPT was 81 and 117 now it became 117 and 395 respectively and bilirubin total is 1.19. When the bilirubin count decreased, I started to eat food more to make my body look normal. Will it be dangerous?  Read Full »

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concerns, but you should not worry. Hepatitis A is self-limiting in the great majority of patients. Hepatitis A is diagnosed clinically and laboratory (HAV IgM and G) is required for the diagnosis. If you have them, please send a copy of the results...  Read Full »

Can elevated bilirubin be interrelated with my stomach discomfort?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 33-year-old female and I am fairly healthy and not overweight. I have been having constant nausea and stomach discomfort for several weeks now. I occasionally get a dull ache on the right side and feel full for a long time after eating. I am very worried what this could be. I h...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your symptoms are suggestive of jaundice and your report also suggests the same. I would need to know Since when are you having all these symptoms? When was this bilirubin test performed? Do you have any fever? How about alcohol consumption? Fo...  Read Full »

Does hepatitis virus stay dormant in the body after infection or get cleared?

Query: Hello doctor,I have been given hepatitis B blood test that showed the HBsAg negative and the hepatitis B core antibody image as positive. I am currently getting labs done for hepatitis B Surf Ab Quant, HBsAg screen, hepatitis B virus profile, and panel. I am getting conflicting information on websit...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have positive HBV core IgM which means one of the following: Recent infection (window phase). Reactivation of chronic infection. False positive result. Do you have any symptoms of active hepatitis, like jaundice, or painful liver? I strongly recommend th...  Read Full »

Is viral hepatitis a sexually transmitted disease?

Query: Hello doctor, My 26 year old cousin is suffering from viral hepatitis since the last two years. If he marries, will he transfer the disease to his wife even if she is already vaccinated against hepatitis?  Read Full »

Dr. Chandra Prakash Tanwar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. What I understand is that your cousin is suffering from chronic hepatitis. It is commonly chronic hepatitis B or chronic hepatitis C. If his wife is vaccinated and her anti-HBs levels are sufficient, she will not contract an infection from him. But there is some risk f...  Read Full »

Can I get hepatitis B from sharing a toothbrush?

Query: Hello doctor,I used my friend's toothbrush. I wanted to know about the risks of getting a hepatitis B infection from it. My gums bleed sometimes, but not often. How much blood would need to be on the tooth brush for me to be affected? I did not see it on the brush. I am just being paranoid and I do...  Read Full »

Dr. Purva Jingar

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is not hepatitis B you need to worry about. But, there is a chance of getting her bacteria in your mouth. Do not overthink. It is a normal gum bleed caused due to poor oral hygiene. Wish you good health and happiness. Keep me updated with the improvements. Regards...  Read Full »

My wife is hepatitis B positive. Is there any risk involved in her second pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife has hepatitis B. She does not have any complications, but she always feels tired. She has already given birth once, and now she is pregnant again after two years. How many times can she get pregnant? Is there any risk involved in this pregnancy? Her doctor told that there is no ne...  Read Full »

Dr. Jimesh H Mavani

General Practitioner, Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The best thing you can do is to check the viral load now. And according to the report, there will be a high or low risk of transfer. In the case of low risk, it is same as the first pregnancy. She can continue the pregnancy, but the baby should receive an immediate in...  Read Full »

Being a non-alcoholic, is it possible to get liver issue?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 22 year old female with the history of bronchitis. I was diagnosed with bronchitis at the age of 17 approximately. For five months, I had been facing breathing problem and now I have continuous pain in the right abdomen and occasionally on the left. I also have a type of sting l...  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your breathing problem is due to bronchitis and sinusitis, which most of the time is due to allergy to cold, dust, pollen and pollution. Once the allergen is removed then your symptoms will improve. But, sometimes it can lead to infection in the lungs. You can carry out ...  Read Full »

I am an alcoholic and bulimic. What does my report suggest?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 23 year old female. I am bulimic for the past nine years and also suffering from anxiety and depression for the past five years. I like to drink alcohol a lot. I recently had a checkup and I have attached my test reports for your reference. I am just taking vitamin supplements...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Looking into your laboratory reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it appears that you are having hepatitis. It could be alcohol induced, viral or a combination of both. The ultrasound will guide to rule out lesions in the liver. It will also help us t...  Read Full »