Viral Hepatitis

What is the cause of persistent increase in liver enzymes?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 23 years old. It has been more than a year my liver function test result remains high. I have been tested for hepatitis A, B, C, E, and autoimmune hepatitis, but the result all came out negative. My doctor told to take blood test regularly. But, it has been almost a year now, the res...  Read Full »

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can imagine that you must be very concerned about your persistent elevation of the liver enzymes. As you already have viral etiologies excluded this is time to look for other things which could lead to persistent elevation of the liver enzymes. Notably the Wilson, ...  Read Full »

What does it mean if SGPT is high?

Query: Hello doctor, My SGPT test result is 49. Is it dangerous for the liver?  Read Full »

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, you did not share your body weight? Do you feel any symptoms like fatigue, weakness, or loss of energy? This information is important because only SGPT which is just nearly one and a half times raised cannot tell a diagnosis on its own. To answer your concern tha...  Read Full »

What is the treatment for hepatitis E?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 16 years old. My eyes were yellow, ALT level was 226, Hepatitis E result was 9.4 u/ml. I went to a gastroenterologist for checking and he prescribed me few medicines Siliver, Sulvorid, Dexxoo. In the follow up he prescribed me Ipride. After taking that medicine I am having loose ...  Read Full »

Dr. Kapil Gupta

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your symptoms and your test reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it looks like you have viral hepatitis, particularly hepatitis E. Viral hepatitis affects your liver cells and causes their inflammation which can lead to dysfunction in the no...  Read Full »

Is surgery necessary for early stage liver cirrhosis?

Query: Hello doctor, The scan for my maid's husband shows early liver cirrhosis. We need a consultation on the scan. He has stomach pain with water-filled abdomen. Is surgery necessary?  Read Full »

Dr. Rajesh Bansari

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have reviewed your given details. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I agree with you that he is suffering from end stage liver disease and ultrasound is showing fatty liver. We need to look at the cause of this fatty liver, which could be due to e...  Read Full »

Can a non-alcoholic get liver problems?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 22 year old female with the history of bronchitis. I was diagnosed with bronchitis at the age of 17 approximately. For five months, I had been facing breathing problem and now I have continuous pain in the right abdomen and occasionally on the left. I also have a type of sting l...  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your breathing problem is due to bronchitis and sinusitis, which most of the time is due to allergy to cold, dust, pollen and pollution. Once the allergen is removed then your symptoms will improve. But, sometimes it can lead to infection in the lungs. You can carry out ...  Read Full »

Please help me interpret my reports.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 23 year old female. I am bulimic for the past nine years and also suffering from anxiety and depression for the past five years. I like to drink alcohol a lot. I recently had a checkup and I have attached my test reports for your reference. I am just taking vitamin supplements...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Looking into your laboratory reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it appears that you are having hepatitis. It could be alcohol induced, viral or a combination of both. The ultrasound will guide to rule out lesions in the liver. It will also help us t...  Read Full »

What causes high bilirubin and stomach pain?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 33-year-old female and I am fairly healthy and not overweight. I have been having constant nausea and stomach discomfort for several weeks now. I occasionally get a dull ache on the right side and feel full for a long time after eating. I am very worried what this could be. I h...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your symptoms are suggestive of jaundice and your report also suggests the same. I would need to know Since when are you having all these symptoms? When was this bilirubin test performed? Do you have any fever? How about alcohol consumption? Fo...  Read Full »

What does coarse echotexture of the liver mean?

Query: Hello doctor, I had an ultrasound of my abdomen yesterday and got the results today. My ALP is 155 and AST and ALT is within the normal range. I am not taking any medication at the moment, but I would like help with understanding what this means 'liver parenchyma has increased and coarse acoustic ...  Read Full »

Dr. Chandra Prakash Tanwar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As your abdomen ultrasound report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) shows an increased and coarse echotexture with no IHBD (intrahepatic bile duct) dilatation, the main cause is a fatty liver disease which shows an increased echogenicity in the liver. T...  Read Full »

Is it fine to take Prednisone and Azathioprine for autoimmune hepatitis?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been itching throughout my body, especially after eating, for about two years. I noticed fatigue and shortness of breath about 18 months ago. I stopped smoking before seven years. I stopped drinking before a year as my upper abdominal area started paining after drinking. Before fi...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are a few important facts I would want you to consider. We have to rule out other forms of hepatitis like viral hepatitis, amyloid or iron deposition, NASH (nonalcoholic steatohepatitis) and alcoholic liver disease. All three markers are non-specific; ant...  Read Full »

I began to eat more to make my body look normal post jaundice. Is it safe?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a jaundice (hepatitis A) patient. My earlier SGOT and SGPT was 81 and 117 now it became 117 and 395 respectively and bilirubin total is 1.19. When the bilirubin count decreased, I started to eat food more to make my body look normal. Will it be dangerous?  Read Full »

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concerns, but you should not worry. Hepatitis A is self-limiting in the great majority of patients. Hepatitis A is diagnosed clinically and laboratory (HAV IgM and G) is required for the diagnosis. If you have them, please send a copy of the results...  Read Full »