Q. How can I feel stronger and healthy after viral infection?

Dr. Atul Prakash
and medically reviewed by Dr. Dr. Divya Banu M
Published on Sep 04, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 05, 2019

I was really sick this summer in the hospital after being diagnosed with a viral infection that put me out for a month and a half. I lost a lot of weight and strength. My doctor told me to start off with walking, which I did as I got better near the end of summer. But now I am back at school and have been trying to exercise to get stronger and tone up because I struggle walking to class over the hills and long distances. But when I exercise, like with weights or even a bicycle or rowing machine or 1-minute job on the treadmill, I start to hurt. I will either get sharp stomach pains where my pancreas was swollen or the area below my armpits in my upper ribs will ache. Or my body will start to tremble and I will pass out. But I have only tried 10 to 15 reps of low weights, going slow, only exercising 10 to 15 minutes at a time.

I eat extremely healthy because I have a strict diet focusing on cutting out foods causing inflammation so I make sure I get my healthy fats, proteins, and veggies. I would like to tone my body, but I am more concerned with getting stronger and feeling healthy. But I do not know how. Could you help me or give me some advice?

Dr. Atul Prakash

Fitness Expert Orthopedics And Traumatology Physiotherapy Spine Health
#

After such a severe infection, the recovery is going to be prolonged. My recommendation is to do aerobic mainly mixed with a small amount of strength training 90:10. Once you are able to go 30 minutes in one session without feeling faint and this may take time. Also check with your doctor the intensity he recommends as only fat-burning intensity is recommended, not any higher. The passing out and chest pain are worrisome, again check with your doctor. You are eating healthy which is good to eat more portion of proteins and healthy fats than carbohydrates.

Can viral infection during early pregnancy cause autism?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife is seven weeks pregnant (about three weeks from fertilization, we think, because she has long cycles) and came down with shingles almost 2 weeks ago (and a cold about a week ago). She has been taking Acyclovir and the pain has reduced but is still present. We are worried about th...  Read Full »

I have weakness, headache and stomach upset after a cat scratched me. Should I be worried?

Query: Hello doctor, I am an 18 year old girl. This week, I bought two kittens and a dog. I took good care of them and cleaned them thrice a day. One of my kittens scratched me a bit, but I cleaned the scratch with soap and alcohol. It has been six days and the scratch is gone. But, I feel very weak late...  Read Full »

Ask a Physiotherapist Now