Q. My son has low platelet count, and high lymphocytes count. What could it be?

and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

My 2.4 years old son has platelet count 193, WBC 6.8, Hb 11.4, RBC 4.28; however, neutrophils 16%, lymphocytes 73%, monocytes 08, SGPT 100, SGOT 77, creatinine 0.17. He is doing fine and active. However, lower weight gain was 1.7 kg, and the current weight is 9.25 kg. The monthly average weight gain during the last year is 150 gm/ month. The birth height was 41 cm, and the present height is 84 cm. Polybion 5 ml two times daily. Kindly guide us.

#

Following is my opinion on your asked question. In the attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), lymphocytes are high, and platelet count are borderline low with raised SGPT (serum glutamic pyruvic transaminase) . So, it is suggestive most probably towards viral infection. Give him more water and repeat CBC (complete blood count) after two to three days again.

If your child has any fever, bleeding, or any other clinical manifestation, please mention it. Lymphocytes will go down once inflammation is over. You can consult him with a pediatrician for physical examination. Revert with repeated CBC as well. I hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you for your reply.

He had neither fever nor bleeding in the last few days.

#

Following is my answer to your asked question. So if no clinical manifestation, then no need to worry. For physical examination, consult him to a pediatrician. Physical examination of your child should be done. After a few days, repeat his CBC if lymphocytes still go high, then investigate with the peripheral smear blood examination report. There is no need for any medicine if he is clinically alright. I hope I have answered your asked question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

|