Q. I have recurring draining and clogged feelings in my ear after getting hit in my head. Kindly help me.

Dr. Radhika Shukla
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan

I need help addressing labyrinthitis. About a month ago, I was at soccer practice and heading the soccer ball a few times. A soccer ball actually hit me in the eye, and a few days later, I noticed floaters in the eye, but eventually, it went away. Then about two weeks ago, I listened to music, but it was too loud at first, and it aggravated my ears. I started feeling draining, clogged feelings, and discomfort in my ears a week later. So I decided to see my doctor. She said there was some fluid in my ears that was most likely in conjunction with allergies or a cold and said it was labyrinthitis. Is that I got labyrinthitis originally from using my head during soccer practices? Or is it from allergies? I am looking for answers because I am trying to avoid getting labyrinthitis anymore. This is the second time in 12 months I have been diagnosed, so I am not sure if it is chronic. The CT scan came back negative completely. Kindly give your opinion.

#

Labyrinthitis is not because of getting hit on the head. However, such trauma can cause otoconia to get dislodged and lead to symptoms of vertigo. These otoconia are present in the inner ear (labyrinth) and are like small sensors of balance. Such a condition is called BPPV (benign paroxysmal positional vertigo).

Labyrinthitis, however, is most commonly viral. This means there is a virus responsible, not trauma. The allergy can lead to the fluid being in the middle ear, which is different from the labyrinth. Such fluid can accumulate and cause an ear block and pain.

It is necessary to get your allergy treated. The sprays and tablets will work. However, try and avoid getting hit on the head repeatedly since this could lead to BPPV and subsequent giddiness. I would urge you not to give up your life's passion since it is a crucial part of maintaining your recovery. However, protect your head from hard impacts.

I hope this was helpful.

|