Q. I have a gray splotch in the center of vision in my right eye. Is this an emergency?

Dr. Arnab Pal

I see a leaf shape gray splotch in the center of my vision on my right eye. When I look with both eyes, it goes away, but when I cover my left eye, I see it. It started last night. Is this an emergency?

I am a diabetic and I take insulin Novolin 70/30 twice daily.

Dr. Arnab Pal

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

You have complained about a sudden onset of gray splotch in your central vision of the right eye, which curiously disappears when you see with both eyes. Well, it seems there is definitely a problem in the central or paracentral visual field of your right eye, which is compensated by the normal visual field of your left eye when both eyes are open together.

Central or paracentral visual fields can be affected in either optic nerve disease (drug effect/nutritional among many causes) or a lesion of the central part of retina called macula. Though the exact cause cannot be ascertained by online means and in-person examination is a must, I can guide you to get the following tested at an eye clinic.

1) Thorough retina examination including optic nerve and macula.

2) OCT (optical coherence tomography) macula of the right eye.

3) Automated perimetry (AP 24-2) both eyes. Though it is unlikely to be a corneal problem, it also must be ruled out. But unfortunately, though it is not an emergency per se, any sudden onset problem in vision warrants eye examination in person.

| 

I was able to get an appointment but not until Tuesday. Based on your opinion, is it safe to wait until then?

Dr. Arnab Pal

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

I can reassure you, waiting until Tuesday definitely will not harm. I hope it turns out nothing too serious.

|