Q. I have dark vision soon after I wake up. What is causing it?

Dr. Manish Mahabir

Sometimes when I wake up, the eye that I was sleeping on, the vision will be dark as if I pressed on it too hard, and the vision comes back within seconds of sitting up or moving my head around. What is this?

Dr. Manish Mahabir

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

Any phenomenon like this where the vision comes back and happens on a regular basis is due to a transient break in the tear film over the eyes. It is not something to worry about. In case you think you might have pressed your eyes, you will definitely experience pain which you said you did not experience. So that is likely not the case. Also, would like to know if you are having any other disease or are you on any medication? Take care.

| 

I am not on any medications. Is this not a symptom of eye stroke?

Dr. Manish Mahabir

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

You are correct. Eye stroke is suspected in case you suffer from diseases like diabetes, hypertension, or other diseases. That is why I asked. Considering your age, I assume you are healthy otherwise. So, eye stroke is a very very remote possibility. In case you still want to be absolutely sure about it, you will need an examination of your retina by a retina specialist and cardiac evaluation to rule out any clots.

|