Q. My 3 months old baby's vision has not developed yet. Is this normal?

Dr. Pooja Bandivadekar
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 19, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My daughter is 3 months old now. We got her examined by an eye specialist this week, but the doctor said that her vision is not yet developed due to which she cannot see or differentiate colors. As per the doctor's examination my daughter's eyeballs, retina, etc., are fine but the link of the eyeball to the brain has not developed yet. We parents are concerned and wish to know what we should do in this situation. Is this normal? Can the vision develop in the future? If yes, how long we need to wait? We seek this consultation as a second expert opinion and advice.

Dr. Pooja Bandivadekar

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

• What are the symptoms that the child has? Does she have nystagmus or oscillating movements of the eye?
  • Does the child grab toys presented to her? Is the size of her eyes smaller than usual or cross-eyed or squint? Was only a routine examination done for her?
  • Physiologically or normally child's vision develops between six weeks to six months of age rapidly followed by a slower development till six years after which it is complete.
  • So, if any symptoms mentioned above are not present, then we would expect improvement in child's vision.
  • However, if she suffers from optic nerve or neurological or global developmental problem, then an opinion of a pediatric ophthalmologist in conjunction with a pediatrician is necessary.
  • The first step would be to find if the child had any refractive error or glass number and get it corrected it. The second step would be to assess vision, which is done by a specialized test known as Cardiff count (for preverbal children).
  • Flash VEP (visual evoked potential) is another test and that will give us a semiquantitative proof of vision.
  • Is it possible to upload any of these reports? This will help us to conclude about any actual problem.

1. VEP.
2. Refraction under atropine.
3. Cardiff count.

Glasses with amblyopia therapy if required.

Revert with the details to an eye care ophthalmologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

| 

Suggest ayurvedic treatment for vision problems and fibrocystic mastopathy.

Query: Hello doctor, I am 61 years old and I am 165 cm. I weigh 55 kg. I was found to have the small formation of microcalcinates in the left mammary gland. It was operated and cancer was not found. Diagnosis after surgery was fibrocystic mastopathy. Could you recommend treatment for preventing this proble...  Read Full »

18-weeks-old baby diagnosed with congenital glaucoma and aniridia. Kindly help.

Query: Hi doctor,My 18 weeks old second daughter was diagnosed to have congenital glaucoma with aniridia and corneal opacities bilaterally at birth for which she underwent bilateral trabeculectomy within 15 days of birth. She achieved peripheral clearance of cornea in both the eyes within few days of surge...  Read Full »

Can my diplopia be a sign of MS?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 23 years old female. Can you please explain to me the clinical presentation of decompensated phoria? I have had diplopia for over two years now, binocular, horizontal, worse on distant gaze. I have had an MRI as well, but no lesions found in my brain stem or other areas. Only a f...  Read Full »