Q. Why am I having fatigue, pins, and needles in hands and feet with slow cognition?

I have had low B 12 in the past (135 ngl) and seven years back had injections via my GP. These finished five years back. Recently have had symptoms come back and had my B12 checked and it was low, 265, but in the recommended range, however, I do take a supplement with B12 in it which would have pushed my level up a bit. My symptoms are fatigue, pins, and needles in hands and feet, slow cognition. Should I be receiving injections again?

Do you have a question on Vitamin B12 Deficiency Symptoms or Neuropathy?

Ask a Doctor Now

M.B.B.S., M.D
Hematology Pathology

The fatigue and pins and needle sensation are suggestive of B12 deficiency-induced neuropathy. Your B12 is within the limit but borderline deficiency. I suggest you take B12 injection again as you did earlier. However, your detailed neurological evaluation also should be done. You can consult nearby physician for detailed evaluation and get prescription accordingly.

Also Read Answers From: Vitamin B12 Deficiency Symptoms Neuropathy

Can a deficiency of vitamin B12 cause breathlessness?
Query: Hello doctor, I had a blood test recently and my ESR was elevated to 22, while vitamin B12 was low. I have pain in the right armpit and also a pain in the neck.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your B12 level is low, hence it should be treated with Folic acid tablets and Cyanocobalamin injections. Cyanocobalamin 1000 mcg injections are given intramuscularly for six weeks. ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) can be high in any inflammatory condition. You hav...  Read Full

Should I take Rituximab for neuropathy?
Query: Hi doctor, I am 24 years old. I am suffering from a neurological disease and due to this I am getting weak day by day. My toes are gone almost numb since last two years and the same things are now happening with the upper limbs. I had this disease from childhood, but in a progressive state. So, wit...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am here to help you. First and foremost, I would like to congratulate you for your excellent narration and detailed documentation of the prescriptions and reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), which has enabled me to have a good understanding. I und...  Read Full

Do all the diabetics develop diabetic neuropathy?
Query: Hi doctor, Can you tell me, do all the diabetics develop diabetic neuropathy? My relative is 25 and just got diagnosed with type 2 diabetics. Will she definitely develop neuropathy. Can you also tell me the estimates of the number of diabetics developing it? She is diabetic but is not a BP patient.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Almost all the people having diabetes will sometime during the course of the disease will develop diabetic neuropathy. The reason is damage to microvasculature (small blood vessels supplying the nerves) get affected. Even with fairly well controlled diabetes this doe...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now