Q. Why am I having fatigue, pins, and needles in hands and feet with slow cognition?

Published on Aug 13, 2019

I have had low B 12 in the past (135 ngl) and seven years back had injections via my GP. These finished five years back. Recently have had symptoms come back and had my B12 checked and it was low, 265, but in the recommended range, however, I do take a supplement with B12 in it which would have pushed my level up a bit. My symptoms are fatigue, pins, and needles in hands and feet, slow cognition. Should I be receiving injections again?

Hematology Pathology
#

The fatigue and pins and needle sensation are suggestive of B12 deficiency-induced neuropathy. Your B12 is within the limit but borderline deficiency. I suggest you take B12 injection again as you did earlier. However, your detailed neurological evaluation also should be done. You can consult nearby physician for detailed evaluation and get prescription accordingly.

| 

Can a deficiency of vitamin B12 cause breathlessness?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a blood test recently and my ESR was elevated to 22, while vitamin B12 was low. I have pain in the right armpit and also a pain in the neck.  Read Full »

Should I take Rituximab for neuropathy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 24 years old. I am suffering from a neurological disease and due to this I am getting weak day by day. My toes are gone almost numb since last two years and the same things are now happening with the upper limbs. I had this disease from childhood, but in a progressive state. So, wit...  Read Full »

Do all the diabetics develop diabetic neuropathy?

Query: Hi doctor, Can you tell me, do all the diabetics develop diabetic neuropathy? My relative is 25 and just got diagnosed with type 2 diabetics. Will she definitely develop neuropathy. Can you also tell me the estimates of the number of diabetics developing it? She is diabetic but is not a BP patient.  Read Full »

Ask a Hematologist Now