Q. How to manage abnormal levels of SGOT, SGPT, homocysteine and vitamin D?

Dr. Prathap
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 19, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 28, 2021

I had a recent complete blood checkup. In the report, the levels of SGOT, SGPT, homocysteine and vitamin D levels are abnormal. I have attached the report. The values of SGPT and SGOT are on the higher side, whereas the values of homocysteine, HDL and vitamin D are below normal. Please review the report and help in understanding. How to manage this situation?

#

Your reports are almost normal (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There is no need to worry.

• Coming to the rise in SGOT (serum glutamic oxaloacetic transaminase) and SGPT (serum glutamic pyruvic transaminase), the value is significant only when there is more than fourfold elevation. This rise may be because of alcohol intake or drugs you are using.
  • Your HDL (high-density lipoprotein) is on the lower side. Good eating habits, avoidance of alcohol and smoking and regular physical activity will improve it.
  • Regarding homocysteine, there is no need to worry. It may be a transient rise and do not think much of it.
  • Vitamin D is insufficient. I suggest you CAL D3 tablet (combination of Calcium citrate, vitamin D3, Magnesium hydroxide and Zinc tablets) once a day for three months.

I advise the following medicines. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicines with consent.
1. Tablet CAL D3 once a day after food in the morning for three months.
2. Capsule Homocheck (combination of Folic acid, Methylcobalamin and Pyridoxine) daily in the night for a month.
3. Tablet Pantop 40 mg (Pantoprazole) daily in the morning 30 minutes before food, if you have any gastric upset.

For further doubts consult a general medicine physician online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

|