Q. I have chronic pain in joints with neck and shoulder stiffness. Is it due to vitamin deficiency?

Dr. Mahaveer Patil
Published on Dec 25, 2019

I am 18 years old. I have chronic pain in joints and morning stiffness. I have normal C3, C4 blood work. My vitamin D level was 12.6 ng/ml before and at present it is 28 ng/ml.

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopedics And Traumatology Physiotherapy Spine Health Spine Surgery
#

I have gone through your message and understand your concern. You seem to have weak bones and vitamin deficiency. That is causing bone and joint pains. You need to take supplements and symptomatic treatment.

| 

What treatment do I need? I have normal antinuclear, anti-DNA and CBC blood work. I got my neck x-ray done, it says no fractures and subluxation. No prevertebral soft tissue swelling. Cervical spine straightening. I also have pain in my one wrist and both wrists make noise when moved. Can it be also due to vitamin D deficiency? My symptoms are not in flares and pain is felt only on moving joints.

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

#

If you have morning stiffness in the neck and other joints and also pain, then there are following possibilities

1. Rheumatoid arthritis

2. Seronegative arthropathy

3. Weak bones and osteopenia.

4. Ankylosing spondylitis. Get the RA (rheumatoid arthritis) test and the whole body DEXA (dual energy x-ray absorpitometry) scan to get a detailed idea. Hla b 27 also is significant. Straightening of the spine is due to muscle spasm.

| 

My morning stiffness is only in my neck and shoulders. It is not really my bones but like muscles are getting pulled when looking down or up.

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

#

If the symptoms are only in the neck, then there might be a problem in the cervical spine. It may also be because of using pillows. Get an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) neck. It will give a clear idea. Meanwhile, take analgesics and anti-inflammatory tablets. Give hot fomentation.

| 

Prevention of Joint Pain in Old Age

Article Overview: Joint pain in old age is a major concern that should not be ignored. Most of us suffer from knee pain or back pain after an age. If we follow simple measures in daily routine then most of these conditions can be prevented. Read Article

Dr. Tiwari

Knee joint pain and backache especially in the lumbar region is a very common problem. Almost every one suffers from these problems in life either because of unhealthy lifestyle or some disease. In most cases, these are preventable and treatable, but due to lack of knowledge most people suffer from ...  Read Article

My joint pain is affecting my academics. Please suggest a permanent cure.

Query: Hello doctor, I have been experiencing joint pains in my waist, back, and neck for a year now. Whenever I visit a hospital, I am prescribed NSAID, which gives me only a temporary relief. I want this problem to get solved permanently because it has started affecting my academics. I need your ...  Read Full »

I have chronic neck and back pain with severe neck stiffness. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I have chronic neck and back pain that can cause either severe neck stiffness or sharp pain. Most of the pain seems to originate in the front of the neck (SCM muscle) or the cervical spine area. Pain radiates to mid-back and causes spasms of my shoulder blades. Lots of popping when tu...  Read Full »

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now