Q. My two year old daughter has horizontal stripes on her nails. What could be the cause?

Dr. Sirisha

My two year old daughter is generally healthy. But, today I noticed some horizontal lines on her toenails. I am sending a picture of the same. Could it be a serious problem?

Dr. Sirisha

Paediatrics
#

I have seen the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and understand your concern.

• Horizontal lines on the nails could be commonly due to a vitamin deficiency or a fungal infection of the nail. Try to give your child a nutritious diet. You can start giving a multivitamin syrup as well. I suggest syrup Zincovit, 5 ml once a day for two months.
  • If the nails are mostly yellow, it could be a fungal infection. Then, try to keep the area dry that is, ask her not to play in the water, or wet her feet. In the unlikely event that the infection increases or the nails get brittle, you can consult a dermatologist for antifungal medications.
  • If your child is otherwise healthy, you need not worry about the rare causes now. But if the problem persists, you may consult the doctor.

For more information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

|